SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perry_patrick

Studio apartment design help!

perry_patrick
8 years ago

I have recently moved into an apartment and am now trying to figure out how to use the space. Keep in mind I'm a young Chicago gentlemen who likes a bachelor style, but not a man cave vibe.

I am getting rid of the recliner chair so keep that in mind. I plan on getting a small rug in front of the couch with a coffee table. But I fear it will be snug. My other plan would be to not have a coffee table and put a better side table on the right side. What are your thoughts?

I'm wanting to seperate the couch from the bed with maybe a long bookshelf, but I fear it will make the place feel even smaller. I'm also curious on what colors I should use to blend with the couch mostly. I can always replace the comforter. What do you think I should do?

I need to put something over that ugly crack between the bed and radiator. I was thinking a plant might do it or maybe a small bookshelf can go there or a dresser. Also planning on getting curtains. What are your thoughts on that?

And lastly, because of the borders in the wall with light fixtures I can't take out, what wall decor would work? I'm possibly thinking of covering the lights with different artwork and when you turn on those lights, the art glows.

Any answers to any of these questions would be appreciated.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Comments (38)

• JustDoIt
    8 years ago

Check out Apartmenttheraphy.com. They've got their small house competition going on right now. Lots of inspiration.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

FinallyHome posted exactly what I was thinking. I love ApartmentTherapy.com. One idea could be to swing your couch out into the room so that the back is parallel to your bed and to put the television on the wall with the door. That would create a natural division between the living and sleeping functions.

• Related Discussions

Studio Apartment Color Scheme Help !

Q

Comments (3)
    You have to work with the fixed elements of the floor, cabinetry, and backsplash. I think they would work beautifully with an all-neutral palette. That could be whites (I agree with Dee that a warm white would work well; stark whites or bluish whites would probably fight with what's there already). More greige could work if broken up with darker or lighter shades (black and/or white for contrast and interest). Textural element can add a lot of interest in an all-neutral room. Think jute, seagrass, wicker, chunky knits, etc. If I were to a color beyond neutrals, I would probably keep it to a single color: navy-and-neutral, green-and-neutral, teal-and-neutral, yellow-and-neutral. Maybe a designer could pull off more than one added color, but I know I would find it easier to get everything to hang together if I limited the palette.
    ...See More

Need help with tiny studio apartment furniture layout

Q

Comments (6)
    I"m having trouble reading some of your writing. Will the bed fit on the opposite wall? How far into the room would it come? An open bookcase will create the illusion of separation and still let in the light.
    ...See More

Help! studio apartment bed nook?

Q

Comments (41)
    Looks like a NYC apartment! Here's a floor plan to consider. A four poster bed will create an invisible wall around the bed without blocking it off. The position of the bed should have the headboard on the back 115" wall. This way you can embellish luxurious bedding and good sized nightstands. With your sofa in the middle of the room, it makes the room even smaller. The furniture layout shown opens everything up with good wall space for art. That one window should be a fantastic window treatment, as it is the first thing you see when entering the room and it will balance the bed area. Position the dresser to the side of the sofa facing the bed. Suspend art or a large mirror facing the bed as it will also serve as an entrance "foyer". What's through the French doors? I'm assuming it's the eating area and kitchen. Very cute studio.
    ...See More

Small Studio Apartment Layout/ Design Ideas?

Q

Comments (3)
    Is your desk a heavy duty piece with drawers etc? If not, maybe put it on casters/dollies and make it a multi-use piece (https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN/5013732287). Could it replace your kitchen island (can't tell if that's built-in)? Then your desk can be a prep surface in the kitchen, swing around to be a small dining table, and fit against the window/wall as a buffet/bar. Mount the TV on the wall or get a sturdy display stand with a smaller footprint (like this https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/fitueyes-corner-tv-stand-for-tvs-up-to-65-ftys1863.html). Then you can tuck a bench or 2 small seats underneath it to pull out for dinners.
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

That was my first thought, also fun2bhere.

• Olychick
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Do you have any view out the windows? If so, I think I'd move the living area down to where the bed is and put the bed in the area where the recliner is. It would make me crazy to have the blinds closed all the time and you could then sit on the couch and at least see some sky (I presume). You could add some kind of curtain (or bookcase if there is room) perpendicular to the wall at the edge of the doorway so people don't have to actually walk through your sleeping area to get to the couch. You could add another curtain or even a free standing screen between the bed and living area. This site has some great screen ideas (I especially like the 3 colored doors on rollers:

screening your bed
    Hard to tell from the pics if the tv could be placed farther toward where the radiator is - farther to the left on the wall it's on so it could easily be viewed from the couch under the sconces.

If you watch tv in the daytime, you'll have to get draperies to avoid glare regardless of where the tv or couch is.

Since you are in an apt, here is a great idea for hanging a curtain, with only a couple of holes to fill when you move out:

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There is no view. Just an alleyway and another apartment complex.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I was also thinking it might be good to move the bed to where the recliner is and the sofa by the windows. It would hide the bed from the front door a bit more and I think it would make the room look bigger.

If you have room, the ikea kallax shelves (replacement for the expedit) might be worth considering as a room divider--you'd get a lot of storage.

Is this area also your eating area? If it is, one of those coffee tables that can change to dining height, might be worth considering. If it is not, I would think about a storage ottoman with a tray on top in lieu of a coffee table.

For art, a big mirror could help the space feel bigger.

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I moved the couch and I think it looks better. Once the chair is gone, it will look a lot nicer. A big mirror sounds like a good idea.

I think the big mirror would go well on this wall. Tell me what you think.

It will be my eating area. I will look into that. Thank you.

I will give Apartment Therapy another go. Thank you.

I'm up for other comments as well.

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• jlc712
    8 years ago

I agree with moving the bed to the small wall adjacent to the door; it looks like it would fit perfectly. Then I'd get several throw pillows in patterns you like, so the bed can be used for seating too. Get some under-bed boxes for storage, and a side table for a nightstand. I'd get a comforter that's a size bigger, so it will completely cover the sides of the mattress.

I'd scoot the couch down the wall, and the TV too. You might want to look for a dresser to replace the TV stand and give you some drawer space. I'd look for a long low bookcase to go under the window. It would be a good place for plants, books, decorative objects, or baskets to keep stuff in.

You could get a coffee table with pull-out ottomans, or use a trunk, which would give you more storage.

I definitely wouldn't cover the wall sconces. Look for a big mirror or artwork that would fit in the center section of framed molding.

You could get a small remnant of stone/marble to put on top of the radiator, and it could serve as another side table, and a good place for a lamp.

The floor is pretty, and a coffee table would cover a lot of a rug. I'd probably just get a small soft rug to put at the side of the bed. There's not a lot of room for curtains- if you want to replace the blinds, bamboo blinds look nice and are inexpensive.

I'd go to Ikea and thrift stores, and see what you can find. Figure out a couple of colors and patterns you like, and keep them in mind when you buy things. Everything you have is very neutral, so it's wide open to choose. Have fun, and come back and show us what you do!

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So jlc172, you're saying I should put the bed where the tv is, put the couch in front of the bed and the tv along the windows?

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or should I put the bed where the tv is and put the tv in front of the bed and get a dresser instead and put the couch against the windows? The problem with the lights is they center the room. But with the bed an the couch there, no matter where I put it, the room won't feel centered.

• jlc712
    8 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see your latest posts before I posted. This is what I had in mind-

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

In addition to AT, check out Engineer Your Space, especially the first season, when she had a small NY apt:

http://www.engineeryourspace.com

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the idea, but there's a problem.

The opening to the kitchen is on the other side, so the tv would be blocking the entrance. I realize now it's not in any of the pictures.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Having lived in many studio apartments in Chi Town, it's essential that all your furniture be multi purpose. I would consider a sofa that converts to a comfortable bed, a lounge chair & a easily movable cube coffee tables that provide storage for linens. I would add an expandable table that has storage, with two dining chairs at the window and swag a pendant light over the table so you have a place to set up your laptop. All items you can use in future apartments as you advance. If you plan to entertain young ladies, no lady likes to enter a studio apartment and be confronted with a bed. Be clever with your apartment and think things through.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Well, I say no to a sofa bed for obvious reasons.

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The bed and couch are staying. I like them both. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I have room in my kitchen for a dining table now or I'm thinking a bar. Not sure yet.

This is the bar I was looking at. If not, I'll get a small square dining table with four chairs. Probably at IKEA. But the living/bed room is first and foremost.

I've decided on getting new bedsheets with more color since the couch and bed sheets both have a dull color. Nothing crazy, but a little splash of color. And I will get throw pillows for the couch and possibly the bed. I also think I'm going to get a small headrest for the bed. Still deciding.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I would still consider putting the bed closest to the door so it is more hidden when you enter. Then the sofa under the windows. And, if there is room, a divider between the bed and the rest of the room could hold the television?

My Houzz: Modern Dutch home combines vintage and Asian touches · More Info

This unit is from ikea.

If you plan on a rug, I would choose it before choosing new bedding or pillows. I think it will be easier to coordinate that way.

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would totally do the island, but there's just not enough room. I'll try putting the bed on the other side. I could put a hanging room divider to block the bed and put the tv infront of that and put the couch by the windows. I won't have the room divider, but I'll rearrange it and see what you think with pictures.

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rearranging would be a lot easier if there wasn't wall scones and the borders in the wall.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Wall sconces can be a pain. We have some in our old house.

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another update. So I moved the bed to the other side and put the couch by the windows and the tv by the bed. With a bookcase/tv stand it could work. However I feel it will make the place look smaller than before.

But when I moved the couch and TV sideways...

I feel it more open then ever! And the room feels more centered. And an added quirk, all of my outlets can be used. One by the couch, one behind the TV, one by the keyboard, and one by the bed. I'm not sure if I'll leave the keyboard out, but I think it looks good there.

Tell me what you think!

Now should I put a bookcase blocking the bed, or perhaps a curtain that can open up for extra seating and put a bookcase where the recliner is now.

Thank you all for your wonderful help!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

OK, I somehow have the need to close my bed slightly off, so I would put a book shelf (high or lower) at the foot end of the bed.
    Another consideration is if there's a way to get rid of the box spring and have a bed frame with slats, so your bed is lower and can more easily double as seating.

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

That looks great so far, now to find a coverlet for the bed that looks more like a cover for a couch.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Many years ago, I lived in a studio in Chicago with a roommate. We managed to fit two full sized beds and a sleeper sofa in the space. We separated the living space from the sleeping space with bookshelves. We put the TV in the bookshelf.

In your situation, I like your last set up. It will be much quieter with the bed on the interior. The sofa will have better light. I suggest you invest in the ceiling mounted curtain arrangement that olychick showed.

Everything you buy must have a dual purpose. I know you are starting out and the budget is limited. Get rid of the big chair. Once you can afford it, get rid of that sofa and purchase a sleeper sofa for guests. Bookshelves will be your friend. If you can hang the TV on the wall, it will free up floor space.

Chicago is a great place to be young and single. I don't think much has changed since my time. Enjoy yourself.

• bbstx
    8 years ago

I like your most recent arrangement!

Some things to contemplate as you move forward:

How many people are you likely to entertain at one time? Will you need to provide seating for so many people that you will need to have folks sitting on your bed? If so you may need to style your bed more as a daybed.

Where you have the recliner (I know it is going anyway) could you put a chair that would look nice as an occasional chair, but could also be pulled up to the table for dinner? Below are some examples of chairs that could do double duty. All are from Ikea and below $100 each.

Ikea Nils

Ikea PS

Ikea Almsta

Ikea Esbjorn (can add a cover that vaguely resembles a moving pad. Industrial chic?)

I would not use a bar in the kitchen. If you have a table, the chairs can be pulled into the LR as needed for extra seating. For use in the kitchen, you may want smaller chairs than the armchairs above. Folding might be good so unused chairs can be tucked out of the way.

I can't get the photo to post, but Ikea makes a nice wooden folding chair (link: Terje) that is sturdy enough to support 220 lbs. Since the package is only 3 1/2" high, I assume that is the depth when the chair is folded. You could slip a couple of those under your bed!

Are you going to need storage furniture such as chests, or is there sufficient storage in your closet for socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc? If you do not need to use your bed as additional seating, you could put it on risers for storage under it.

Instead of a headboard, consider using Euro pillows in nice shams against the wall at the head of the bed. A headboard will take up extra space and inches matter in a studio. I looked at wall decal headboards, but I think the wall dado panels will interfere with your either using a decal or painting a headboard on the wall.

How about a couple of floor pillows tucked in a corner? Check Overstock, World Market, and West Elm.

YAY! for you realizing that there are other colors than brown. I would encourage you to buy a nice oriental/persian rug. Pull your color palette from the rug you buy. Check ebay for Kazak rugs which patterns are often geometric (remember to look at seller's rating and return policies). You might also look at Craigslist.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I love your new arrangement.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Ceiling drapery track from IKEA. Very inexpensive. You can purchase ready make drapery panels also.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Or the IKEA sliding panels, which look more streamlined.

Also, just saw this futon/sofa on Apartmenttherapy. I bet it's not as comfy as your couch, but it could double as a sleeper. 399.00 and come sin grey and teal.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/9-by-Novogratz-Vintage-Linen-Mix-Futon-Grey/38352236

or this sleeper sofa for 349.00. Also in grey and burgundy.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Since this is a small studio, no matter how you slice it, you are going to see the bed! In theory, a sofa bed makes sense, but who really wants to keep folding and unfolding? I think it would wind up staying open.

When my daughter moved into her first studio apartment, after living with roommates (she always had a bedroom), I asked her how she felt about the bed being in the middle of the room. She said it was the same as before because she would bring her guests into her bedroom anyway.

She now lives in an even tinier co-op that she just bought. Chicago is similar to NY. I am sure you will be socializing more outside of your apartment than in it.

• bbstx
    8 years ago

Although I like the layout that your finally came up with (bed farther from windows, sitting area closer to windows) better than the layout of this studio, I thought you might like to see it just for some decorating ideas. Design Sponge Studio Apartment The pegboard over the bed reminded me of your wall dado.

• perry_patrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello all! A little update. Money has been tight, but I was able to save up for a coffee table.

I was afraid it would be too big, but I think it looks nice. It has some storage space on both sides and I love it's look. I am curious if I should put a vase with flowers or something with a little color to put on top. Also I think a rug is in store.

I also sold the recliner and it's out of my life! The apt. has been repainted by the new Landlord and that ugly hole in the wall is gone and the color is much better! They didn't put the blinds back and I'm thinking of replacing them while they are down or go with curtains.

I will be putting a small bar cabinet on the right side of the TV (where that drawer is) to get my "bar" fix without using the kitchen area for it. It will fit perfectly in that unused space. (I plan on getting rid of that small drawer container.

I will probably get a small dining room table or just leave the keyboard there since I have a coffee table and I know I wouldn't use the dining table except when guests come over.

I was given a rug by a friend, but I feel it's too small under the coffee table, so I put it under the keyboard.

I got some candles for the windowsill and I think they bring a nice touch, especially when lit.

I still plan on putting a curtain to seperate the bed from the room and put a small bookcase on the left side of the TV with a mirror on the wall above it.

Any comments would be appreciated. I will continue to update as more additions are very slowly added to my apt.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Looks like very nice progress. Thank you for the update!

Flowers are always lovely, but cut flowers don't last long. An orchid or even just a potted plant will last longer. Succulents require almost no care. Or you could do something else decorative on the coffee table. If you celebrate Christmas, a tiny rosemary tree on the table might be nice this time of year.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

A bowl with fruit and nuts, both to eat and replenish. And flameless candles!

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

You know, since you like the open floor plan (me too) I would invest in just a bottom sheet and a duvet with a cover. Then making the bed in the AM is a snap. Also maybe some bolsters so you can lie on the bed like a sultan! Then maybe a curtain that you could pull back to one side (or two) most of the time but quickly close if your bed was a mess and you had unexpected company! I like the way you have it now because at least the room is open to the windows, it feels more energetic.

• User
    8 years ago

If you don't feel you need them, sconces can be removed, capped and put back when moving.
    I would put your bed on risers so you could take advantage of extra storage underneath.
    A screen can be made w/with PVC pipe frame and using the top hem of a sheet to shirred

Also, you rented a place w/blinds. even if you don't want them back, have them at least install shades.

• bbstx
    8 years ago

Flameless flickering candles I agree the rug is too small to go under the coffee table. Everything is coming together nicely. Congratulations.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH