SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jefcostello

Best pot/drainage solution for 2 large plants in 1 small apartment

Jef Costello
8 years ago

I have two tall plants in my Manhattan apartment. A fiddle leaf fig tree that's about 8 feet tall, and a ming aralia that's about 6 feet tall. They are both still in the plastic pots and soil that they came in from the nursery. Both are heavy, as you can imagine.

I want to buy nice permanent pots for these guys, but I need to figure out how to drain these things first immediately after watering. Right now I totally flush each plant, but then need to quickly move the heavy pots onto a fresh plastic trays because the tray it currently sits in fills up with water so quickly immediately after watering. So right now it's a huge pain to water these guys as I'm running around the apartment trying to empty these cheap flimsy plastic trays before the next tray wills up with water. It looks like a Benny Hill routine.

So what are my options here? I was considering buying pots that are decently larger than the current plastic pots, so the plastic pots can just drain into the larger pots. I can have the plastic pots sit on top of some kind of metal tray that allows a good amount of water to accumulate below it. What do you think of this option? What aren't I considering here?

Thank you!1

Comments (5)