SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Adapting Large Glazed Pots for Container Planting; Photos

arbo_retum
13 years ago

This was a whole new project for me this summer , so wanted to share what I learned from it:

We acquired some enormous and very heavy glazed pots this year and decided to use them for lilies in our sunniest location- the driveway entrance to the 'retum. Because our climate necessitates moving glazed pots into a sheltered spot for the winter, we did not want to make these monsters heavier than absolutely necessary. At 24" H with a 26"diameter, the pots had more than enough room for expanding lily and perennial roots, and they already had drainage holes. We decided to fit them with false bottoms. Finding no premade versions that were large enough, we made them ourselves.

First, to allow for water drainage but prevent future soil loss through the drainage holes, we covered the holes with small pieces from broken terra cotta pots. Then we filled our glazed pots about halfway with recycled packing peanuts,leaving 12-15" of vertical space for a thin false bottom and the soil. For the false bottoms, we obtained some of a friend's leftover 1" thick foam insulation boards that were feather light but dense and strong enough to support the weight of the dirt and of the plants.

Because the necks of our pots were smaller than their waists, we had to fineagle a technique to cut the boards into tightly fitting 26" W false bottoms that could still pass through each pot's 20"W neck. We measured the inside of the pot's waist and then cut 2 foam semi-circles (or shapes that combined to make a circle) which slid vertically into the pot and then were positioned horizontally,and pushed together tightly to make a solid surface on top of the foam peanuts(not the water soluble cornstarch peanuts!) To draw and cut the semicircles, we tied each end of a 16"piece of butchers string to a large headed nail and inserted one nail into the flat foam board at its edge. We wound the excess string around the stationary nail head until the string measured 13"(the diameter we needed.)We pushed that nail into the foam, thus keeping the string from unwinding. Then, with firm pressure on the string, we used the nail tip to draw a 13" arc. A small pointed kitchen knife sawed through the foam board with ease and further shaved edges as needed. We made sure that the foam fit snugly so that the soil mass would stay above the false bottom and not filter down freely into the peanuts. After the foam board was laid down,we pierced drainage holes in it by using the closed pointed tips of a pair of scissors, rotated to establish 1/2"W holes. We then filled the pots with a mixture of compost and potting soil and proceeded to plant them!
{{gwi:258267}}From glazed pots

{{gwi:258268}}From glazed pots

{{gwi:258269}}From glazed pots

{{gwi:258270}}From glazed pots

Purple wandering jew; variegated abutilon; Lily Time Out. There are a few perennials- some veronica and corydalis lutea- that you could see earlier in the summer.

{{gwi:258273}}From glazed pots

{{gwi:258275}}From glazed pots

One of the things I'm really pleased with- is that the lily stems, pre and post bloom, are hidden by the abutilon.

Also, the foliage provides interest before the lilies flower and after. The winter plan is to leave the lilies in the pots (remove and pot up everything else and take to conservatory, where they may or may not survive)and move glazed pots to cover on the screen porch.

I bet some of you will have some good ideas for how to improve these pots for next year. Sedona coleus? purple sweet potato vine? or some other shape or color? I think the Touching orientals i had in other pots might look better next year with the abutilon(if it survives.) I appreciate your suggestions.

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

a few other shots, as long as i'm at it:
{{gwi:258276}}From 2010-08-17

Lily Orania, coleus
{{gwi:258277}}From 2010-08-17

Lily Touching

This is the very first time in 23 years of gardening that I have grown 'picture book perfect' lilies. They've always shown LB and other damage. No LBs ever came to these; maybe because i planted them so late (June, from Brent and Becky's sale). What a thrill !

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting