SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkhdawg

Looking for help newer lawn upstate New York

jkhdawg
8 years ago

We finished construction on new home last June. Not the ideal time to seed however with kids, pets etc. I wanted to get seed down that would grow quickly. I put down a mix of rye, fescue & kgb. In early September I overseeded with kgb and added a top dress. Late October I fertilzed with alfalfa pellets.

You can definitely see some area with kgb but for the most part it's fescue. The goal is to get the kgb to over take the fescue.

I'm cutting the grass about every other day leaving it about 3in long. Its really thin though and gives appearance of many small patches without any growth. I'm watering about twice a week and just fertilized with alfalfa pellets (yesterday) watered again today.

I'm hoping to get some help achieving the following.

1. Best way to get kgb to over take the fescue

2. Best way increase growth so it is thicker and healthier looking

3. Best top dress when trying to level for kgb

4. Best way to topdress and overseeed a newer kgb lawn without damaging to much what's already growing.

Am I mowing to low for a lawn this infant?

Is 1in enough water per week?

Should I overseeed again in the fall with kbg?

Where is best place to buy kgb online?

Are alfalfa pellets a good organic for kgb?

How often should I fertilize using alfalfa pellets?

Should I alternate with other organic fertilizers?

I have about 3/4 acre. My lot is carved out in the woods. About a 1/3 of my lawn gets about 4-5hrs of sunlight, the other 2/3 of my lawn gets about 3-4hrs of sunlight each day.

Hopefully I provided enough I of, questions etc. but feel free to ask me for more info. I'm looking forward to everyone's thoughts and help

Cheers

Comments (19)