SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Anyone else growing "Nouveau Monde"?

AquaEyes 7a NJ
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I put the name in double-quotes because the rose currently under this name doesn't match the scant few original descriptions of a purple Gallica-like Hybrid China. I got mine from Vintage Gardens two years ago because it was rated as being a very fragrant Hybrid China of growth-habit #3 -- and I imagined it would work great as a climber against the raised deck railing in the yard, with a Type-2 clematis using it as a trellis.

It's once-blooming, but for an extended bloom-time -- a couple weeks longer than the Gallicas last for me, this rose started a few days ago and will likely continue blooming until the first week in July. To my nose, the scent is very much like that of 'Felicite Parmentier' which I remember planting in a community garden in Buffalo. It's basically "thornless" but does have tiny bristles on the canes. Leaves are long and "peach-like", folding over themselves, which is attractive enough when the rose isn't blooming. Foliage, buds, and canes have a resinous balsam-like scent when touched or rubbed. I don't spray, and it got just a hint of blackspot in Autumn, only. If you could imagine 'Yolande d'Aragon' and 'Mme Plantier' having a baby together, it'd probably look like the rose grown as 'Nouveau Monde'. All pics of it on HelpMeFind are of my plant.

Vintage Gardens was the only US source. It grows at l'Hay, and one German nursery lists it in their inventory. On HelpMeFind, only two other gardens list it among their roses grown. I realize it's not as flashy as some of the other antiques, and being obscure and misnamed, it doesn't have much romantic history. But it grows well and healthy for me, needing only some tucking and training to get it to do what I want, and otherwise it's ignored. I feel that something like this should be better known, whatever it is. So....does anyone else here grow it?

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (21)