SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening

Anyone else growing exclusively indoors?

Thought I'd start a discussion topic on this, as there are few resources out there for people growing their citrus exclusively indoors. If you are, share a bit about how you grow, what you do culturally, room temps, etc. Maybe we can compile some good information for those who have an interest and help to iron out some of the hiccups. Please keep it civil. I'll start:

First: some pics of my trees.

Fukushu kumquat, leaves lightened a little with the cold this year (massive snowstorm and their room got a bit too cold). Coloring back up nicely and growing a lot.

My other big tree, a Nagami kumquat. This guy had a hell of a time before I got it. Has since recovered nicely and I'm beginning to see some bloom buds starting. Hoping for an actual harvest this year.

Seed grown rangpur lime given to me a few months ago to try to save. Really didn't like the cold this year, but is finally bouncing back well.

New addition: Makrut lime.

Seed grown indio mandarinquat, less than 2 months from sprouting.

I use G&B organics citrus soil (can't make my own, no storage space, but it's one of the few in my area that is made of more well draining components and doesn't stay soggy). Jobes fertilizer, and water when my soil gets dry. I make sure that all my plants are elevated above their drainage trays on rocks (or elevated internally: the Nagami and Fukushu, are still elevated this way. Though I have decided to remove the raisers on their next repot as they tend to get tangled in the roots), I water deeply on waterings and then leave the water in the tray below the pot line. Their room can get up to 80 in the summer, and drops occasionally to 50 in winter, but only in really cold winters, and usually only at night. Ideally I wouldn't let that room drop so low, as some of the citrus don't seem to like it. Turning off the grow lights seems to help on those days. I use both a skewer and a moisture meter to check water levels (I was able to figure out what my meter read as dry by using the skewer for awhile. I still use both, but alternate now that I have a better idea.) I have fungus gnats really bad in my area, (they swarm outside and you just can't keep them out of the house), so I keep them from multiplying in my pots with mosquito bits sprinkled on the soil, and a layer of diatomaceous earth occasionally in late summer/fall. To break apical dominance, yet keep fruiting wood, I bend branches with bonsai wire. I use two LED grow lights to provide additional light on cloudy days and during winter. Their window is 15 ft wide and 7ft tall and faces west/southwest. I only use terracotta pots, as plastic stays too wet, and makes watering complicated. Though I have considered using fabric in the future.

Anyone else? What have you learned? What would you have wanted to know? Let's try to make this a resource for beginning and continuing indoor growers!

Comments (45)