SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncage30

Help me decide on a tree

ncage30
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I live in zone 5. I need a tree (maybe 2) for my front yard. I'm trying to decide which species of tree would work. I really don't want any of the standard flowering trees (like for example crabapple). So far i'm thinking of either some kind of oak or maple tree. Here is an image of my front yard:

Hopefully having a picture of my full grown chocolate lab in the pic adds a little more prospective. So like i said right now i'm looking at either a oak or maple tree. Should there be any others that should be in my list?

Do you think my yard i big enough for 2 large trees or should i just put 1? I thought a sugar maple and red maple might look nice together.

Don't know if you can tell in the pic (its hard to tell when look at it). by my yard slows downward at about 20-30 degrees. I guess when i plant the tree i just need to get my level out to make sure its level.

Now if i go the oak route i'm thinking on maybe a red oak. If i go with an oak i'll probably stick to 1 tree.

Now if i go the maple route i'm looking at a couple of varieties: Various Red Maples, Sugar Maple or a red crimson maple.

So initially here are "some" of my concerns.

1) I don't want to plant the trees close enough to the driveway or house that i end up having issue. I know different varieties have differences as far as this are concern (some trees roots go deeper).

2) I don't want to overcrowd things either if 2 trees are going to be pushing it.

3) Growth rate is a concern of course. Its not like any hardwood tree is going to grow that fast but the faster the better :).

EDIT 1: I want o make sure whatever tree i get doesn't produce sap that will drip on cars either.

Any help would be appeciated...thanks.

Comments (30)