SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_13618924

NO Pops of Grey

User
8 years ago

So I have bought a new (to me) house and am going to change just a few things. The pictures are with the current owner's furnishings and I won't be moving until Aug 1, so plenty of time to play with ideas. Anyone wanting to join in the fun, just jump right in.

Click HERE to see photos from realtor's listing.

Comments (4.1K)

• zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

User thanked zazfuzzroc
  • Rina
    7 years ago

And to you, Zaz.

Whynot, I just keep clicking back and forth in wonder. Magic is possible.

User thanked Rina
  • Related Discussions

Growing pains with decorating light gray walls

Q

Comments (7)
    I am using black frames with white mats for some color flower photography I have been saving for over our bed. It will add a punch of color to a subdued room. If it is too much color, I'd relocate them to the living room with its light bright green walls. A mirror looks great against a light gray wall. The silver tone of the mirror itself is fabulous. I haven't decided which one to put up, but I will have one over on our light gray wall. We went with pure white wts and white trim and love the contrast. YMMV.
    ...See More

I need help with a white that pops with mindful gray.

Q

Comments (3)
    Get these three chips. Snowbound is closest to Mindful Gray in terms of hue family. The other two have a greater degree of contrast. This range of three should give you enough range to compare so you can decide what you prefer. Snowbound SW 7004 Pure White SW 7005 Extra White SW 7006
    ...See More

Baystorm grey with color pop ideas

Q

Comments (12)
    I would find a rug the incorporates all the rooms colors and then find curtains in one solid color. For example, a blue/green rug like below with blue curtain sheers. Another place you can add your accent color is your bedside lamps....something to think about. Good luck!
    ...See More

Calacatta Natura Quartz Countertop

Q

Comments (1)
    I chose a Corian Quartz Calacatta Villa which has gold veining—I had hard time at the builder’s design place—picked out a more cream tile but still not right—asking if I can just not get backsplash (even the 5” line of countertop) and just add one later… waiting to hear—this is production builder not custom so many options aren’t avaiable— what did you do?
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rina, thank you soooo much. It is really transformed! Can't keep the Cheshire grin off my face. :D

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Sorry...I had to do it....

User thanked mamabear2014
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not one thing to be sorry for, MamaB. Perfection!

• Rina
    7 years ago

User thanked Rina
  • Rina
    7 years ago

Snap (ish), Mamabear.

User thanked Rina
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You two are too cute together. hehehe

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am embarrassed at how happy this has made me feel. I shouldn't be this excited over things but I confess I truly am. I am so proud of this and so grateful that you all have hung in there with me.

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Oh! Don't be embarrassed!! I am overly happy and it's not my room!!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So you're coming by here in June on your way back from Florida, right? :D

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

That would be lovely! We have the condo rented. So, it's definitely a go! The third full week of June! I will probably get sunburn, but can't wait for vacation!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wear lots of sunblock. Sunburns are not fun!!!

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Oh I know. I got a horrible one a few years ago in Texas. We spent the day at a water park and in and out of the water. By the end of the day, I was already a lobstah. During the night I woke up shivering and was so sick. I learned my lesson.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, I don't know how many of you are still around or interested but I'm starting to work on the DR a bit more. This is a mock-up of the color that I'm going to use. It's a little transparent looking in the pic but it's definitely not IRL. I'm lazy and taking a while to "get 'er done" but maybe eventually. The color is SW Raindrop. (Look at the very back wall.)

• zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

Oh yeah, I like that very much... it relates very well to the living room. Really pretty, a great choice, I think. :)

User thanked zazfuzzroc
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Zaz. I won't post the swaths I painted on the walls just yet but I love the color in there. It's so bright and soothing at the same time. Makes me Cheshire cat smile. :D

• zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

Exactly, it is soothing. I love the color.. it works well.

Smiling = Good! ;)

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Looks good, why! I have that color on my SW list of favorites.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, mamabear! The bits that I have painted are exactly the color on the sample cards so that makes me feel a lot better about finding the right color with them. I've had a coral sample stuck out from the side of a picture in my master bedroom for months now. I really love the color but haven't gotten the get up and go to do anything about it so there it stays. :D Need to get the painting done though since the holidays will soon be upon us. I at least want the LR and DR done. DD was here Sat and she loved the color for the DR. Then she turns to the kitchen and says, "What are you going to do in here?" Arggghhhh! NO CLUE!!! hehehehe

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

I still think you are doing a great job making this house your home. And if it takes a little big longer, oh well.

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

I finally got my new floors! We still have to put up the trim. And I have been trying to pick a color for my counters. I had one color picked, but then I chickened out. So I started over and I think I am down to 2, but waiting for a price for one particular quartz. It's a new one. I am sure it's in the expensive group. : (

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awesome!! Now did you put this on a dilemma I missed? If not, I want to see pics!

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

No, I didn't make a dilemma. I posted some pics on rredpenn's snazzy garottage thread. But I have some pictures in my ideabooks, kitchen update. We are taking it a "piece" at a time. And papabear has been pretty good about it all.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll check them out. :D

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OOOoooo...I like that! How exciting!!

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Thanks! I really like them so far. Very comfy on the feet.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

*nodding*...very important. I left a comment on your ideabook.

• sandiocd
    7 years ago
    YAY, HOORAY, Whynot!! I always thought that back dining rm wall should pick up a bit of the turquoise-ish accent from the living room! Your home is inspirational....
    BTW-I missed you guys.
    User thanked sandiocd
  • mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Hi sandi!! I remember you suggesting a turquoise. Good call! How is the new job?? I hope all is going well.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Sandi! I've missed you too! It's going to be very expensive to keep adding stuff to the house just to keep us all in touch! :D

After I had selected the color, I was re-reading the posts and realized that you had suggested a similar color. Your suggestion must have gone to my head and simmered there a while before the idea fully cooked.

I wish I were as fast as Zaz about painting but I am piece-mealing it and just letting the color sink in bit by bit. It's going to take me a while I'm sure.

• sandiocd
    7 years ago
    Hi MamaB! LOVING the new job! Fall Semester starts tomorrow. Tues-Thursday class, but I am doing some consulting for the State Dept of Ed, so doing workshops Sept, Oct, Nov. busy, busy... Thanks for asking! :-).
    Working on little coach house on back of our property now.
    Whynot, I can't wait to hear your plans for the DR
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't have any real plans right now other than painting, at least above the chair rail. I may decide to try to find wallpaper below it but, gosh, that stuff is pricey now!

• sandiocd
    7 years ago
    You know, lately, several people I know are wallpapering. It is VERY expensive!
    Maybe you could find a stencil that imitates wallpaper. I have seen some that are really lovely.
  • sandiocd
    7 years ago
    Example:
    User thanked sandiocd
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have thought about doing that, Sandi. DD has a cricut machine so I could make my own. I was considering doing something like this on the bottom but that might be too literal although I do really love it.

Photo from http://www.twitterevolutions.com/bgs/keyholes-alice-in-wonderland-twi · More Info

• sandiocd
    7 years ago
    I like a subtle Moroccan feel, esp since that background color lends itself so well to either dark OR light patterns.
    User thanked sandiocd
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I do too, Sandi, but take another look at the couch pattern. Maybe too much? or no?

Anyway, I need to find my bed. Talk later. Good night and thanks, ladies!

• sandiocd
    7 years ago
    Oh Pooh!! Forgot the couch pattern--yeah may be overkill
    Big day tomorrow! Sleep well, all...
  • sandiocd
    7 years ago
    Friends, as touchy as some other threads have been, I hesitate to post anything that smacks of politics, and did not want to start another thread---but most of the people I respect have followed this thread, so I wanted to share something my son wrote on FB today
    15 years ago, he was a 17 year old hospital volunteer, and today, he wrote about his thoughts on that 9/11...thanks for indulging me. The events of that 9/11 still tear me apart

"Fifteen years ago today I was working at the VA in my hometown, filing X-Ray jackets and listening to ESPN radio-- "Mike and Mike in the Morning". But as you know, all the comedy, all the sports, all the entertainment fell off the radar quickly.

The first plane hit the tower.

"Freak accident," I thought. A lot of people thought that. The timeline is jumbled in my head--when did I find out about the Pentagon? About Flight 93?

What I do remember is making my way to the waiting room and watching the Today Show when the second tower was hit. Surreal and horrifying. I remember knowing it was an attack, most likely by Al-Quaeda or some similar group. And I remember standing there with one of our radiologists, me a devout Christian and he a devout Muslim in a full length robe and turban. We were both horrified.

There aren't enough words to express the courage shown by our first responders, and there is now way we can express enough gratitude. They are heroes.

This is Sunday, our day of worship. It's the day we remember that in the end, life is stronger than death. Remember those we lost, honor those who sacrificed, but always remember that those who choose evil and death will lose. Finally, and with finality, they will lose.
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What a wonderful image, Sandi. Thank you for sharing such a special memory.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This article popped into my vision this a.m. I was so moved by it I wanted to share it. I warn you, it's a bit long, possibly offensive in some ways to some people, but one of the best I've ever seen on the subject.

https://medium.com/@anastasiabasilcunningham/ketchup-sandwiches-and-other-things-stupid-poor-people-eat-41617483b497#.51cfwvprf

• sandiocd
    7 years ago
    I suppose I am on the liberal end of conservatism. Never was poor--went to a private school free because my dad was principal (the kids who knew that made sure to point it out--my first world problem I guess).
    However, my husband came from a different world--his alcoholic, abusive father threw him, his mom, and his sister out, and they lived in an abandoned chicken coop that summer, until his grandparents rescued them. He was the first person in his extended family to go to college, and became a pretty successful businessman. He is more politically conservative than I am.
    Neither of us EVER,EVER would begrudge anyone help if they need it, and make it a point to help those in need! I totally understand where this article was coming from, but it does bother me that people define conservative as selfish, elitist, or uncaring. I know MANY conservatives who are just the opposite.
    User thanked sandiocd
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think it was the last two paragraphs that hit me so hard.

Don’t confuse aid with charity. Charity is old coats. Donating a coat doesn’t make you a good person but I bet it makes you feel like one. You didn’t even want that coat anymore, what you wanted was the closet space. Sure, you could have sold it at a garage sale and made, like, twenty bucks. It was an expensive coat, damn it. But you, with your heart of gold, gave it away. There’s a twinkle in God’s eye just for you.

What makes you a good person to others (and not just to yourself) is the same thing that makes me, or anyone who can afford the occasional $12 cocktail, a good person: Your vote. Not your coat.
    Vote for a Living Wage for others. Vote for health insurance for others. Don’t get in the way of food stamps for others. Understand how important $17 might be to others. That poor stretch of Atlanta is quiet because people are working and paying for day care. They’re clocking the same hours you’re clocking but they make a shit wage.

My YS has helped me see that I can't look at everything from just my own perspective, through the lens of my own life experiences. I know, I'm pretty dumb to be this old and have to learn that lesson from my son. It just never occurred to me that I was really doing that. But, yeah, I was. This article hit home because of that I think.

• Rina
    7 years ago

Sandi, I think it's about tendencies. You find more of this in this community, and more of that in that community.

User thanked Rina
  • sandiocd
    7 years ago
    But Rina, it is not fair to paint "this community" OR "that community" with that broad a brush...
    And Whynot, I can relate to having my eyes opened--my husband opened my eyes to a lot of things that were not in my frame of reference, but have made him the man he is today.
    User thanked sandiocd
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sandi, I was thinking about what I had said about YS earlier and realized that he had taken something I used to tell him and put it in a much larger context (much to his credit). He has a very high IQ, is a strong, large boned person which is not the stereotype, but had a lot of social problems growing up because he couldn't understand why other kids didn't see things the way he did. He was quite frustrated with the classroom experience and I had to do a lot of work with him outside the classroom to keep him interested in learning and to help him understand those whose thinking processes didn't match his.

My belief is that he took that lesson and projected it into the world at large and began to see others in more empathetic ways than I did. He also had a broader world experience than I did just because the world he grew up in was different than my own. My friends were basically in the same socio-economic situation that my family was so I wasn't exposed to a large variety of differing circumstances and, in my day, one didn't discuss such things very much. His friends, on the other hand, came from a large variety of situations and he saw so much through their eyes. Regardless, I am very proud of him and, a little bit of myself, for allowing him to teach me the lessons he has learned.

• sandiocd
    7 years ago
    Yes, Why, BTDT--nothing like being schooled by your offspring...
    Sounds like an awesome young man. I have 3 sons that have each taught me a thing or two. I think my super power is being a sponge.
    User thanked sandiocd
  • Rina
    7 years ago

Sandi, yes, I accept your point.

User thanked Rina
  • sandiocd
    7 years ago
    Hey friends!! Do any of you live in Lexington, Ky? I am speaking at an international education conference there, Nov 2-4. Will be busy, but if you want to meet at the Hilton and grab a coffee, I would love to put faces w/names!
    User thanked sandiocd