SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rt_peasant

PBFs found! 5-1-1 mix at last!

rt_peasant
8 years ago

I feel like a kid on Christmas Day. After 2 years of searching, I finally found pine bark fines in my area. Had I read this forum more carefully, I would have found them earlier, so I'll repeat this advice for others who are struggling to find PBFs. After striking out at HD, Lowe's, Walmart, and several area nurseries, I finally tried a local landscaping supply company. (Pioneer Sand for those of you in Colorado or Arizona.) They carry a product called Mini Bark Pebbles, which is pine bark fines, mostly < 1/2", and lightly decomposed from sitting out in the rain. Perfect! A quick google search showed many landscaping companies across the country carry a product by the same name.

Yeah! Pine bark fines at last!

About 99% made it through a 1/2" screen. I probably didn't need to screen it, but I'm that kind of guy.

16 cu ft cost me $35.

Screening a bag of peat. I added handles to my screen to prop it on the rim of my wheelbarrow.

Ready to mix the 5-1-1. I used MG Shake 'n Feed for the CRF. We'll see how that works.

The finished product.

150 gallons of 5-1-1 mix cooking, ready to receive peppers and tomatoes, if it ever stops raining here!

My wife doesn't understand my excitement over finding the elusive PBFs, so I had to share my excitement with somebody. Thanks for reading.

Comments (4)