SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven_mastroyin

Replacing window with door for porch access

Steven Mastroyin
8 years ago

I'm not sure this is the best place for this question, but it seems to get the most traffic from suppliers and builders.

I am in the middle of renovating a late 1800s house and am looking to replace a window with a door to access a second floor porch. It is hard to find old pictures of this feature but I suspect it was a door before as the porch was built to be usable (in the assessment database it is in the plans as such).

Please see below picture:

Because I am in a historic district, I can't lose glass area (and don't want to), so I really need a narrow stile full glass door. As well, I don't want to touch the outside of the house. Essentially I would like this change to be unnoticeable from the street and therefore not have to even go to an HDC meeting about it.

So my basic thought is to clear out everything but the arch, and install an oversized outswing door that I would install backward. So the glass width of the door would be the current 28.5" width of the glass. The sidelights are going to stay but do not need to be operable, so I can have the door jamb but up against the wood of the arch feature, understanding I will need to build out the wall thickness a bit. This gives me about 5" on each side for jamb thickness+stile. Top and bottom I'm not as worried about but the top rail would have to be invisible from the street. It would be nice if I could also have two lites to mimic the pane, but that's less important.

I see doors that meet my needs in commercial/retail settings all the time. But I am having trouble finding anything reasonable for a residential application. Digging through the Kolbe website I found they make a 3" stile door which sounds perfect to me but I don't have a local retailer, only wholesaler so I don't really know the options. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? Also any reasonable guesses as to cost?

Comment (1)