SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylyann01

Need help with new lucky bamboo shoots in soil

Amyly Ann
8 years ago

Hi! I recently cut off a few of my hydroponic LB shoots and let it establish roots hydroponically. Once it had a few roots, I planted it in my tiny plastic pot with soil (which seems to have bark in it and is from holland, can't read the language to find out what it contains but i bought it from ikea). The pot is really small, about 3 inches diameter and 4 inch in height, with holes at the bottom, the excess water flows out at the time of watering. And now the leaves don't seem to grow! I can see the new leaf blade that was already there when i broke the shoot off, but it doesn't grow! The plant looks bright green and healthy however!

The reason I let it root in water before planting in soil is because I previously tried cutting/breaking the shoot and directly planting in soil....it stayed green with no new leaves and finally died out after about an year. So I thought of letting it root first.

My mum does this all the time...and her new shoots (directly planted into soil) grew 6 feet ultimately...and she had 2 ceramic giant pots full!! I don't know what I am doing wrong? She was planting into much larger pots though (about 8 inches or more in height). Is it the pot.....do the roots needs more space...more free soil below? Should i switch to a clay or terracotta pot? I'm watering twice a week...the soil stays wet most of the time. I also mist once a day.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

Sponsored