SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acct97531

Starting points for a small house build

acct97531
8 years ago

I've planned out a floor plan for my first house build. It's 864 sq ft, 24x36, 2 bed 1 bath, with a 12' garage for a total footprint of 24x48 with one roofline, and a full basement under the house portion only. So, a simple ranch. Very simple. This is going to be as inexpensive as possible - its my first home, and its a budget build.

Where do I start? I have a builder in mind - he's a friend of the family, does great work, and is local. He knows the codes, plus he lives in the neighborhood so he'll make sure the house fits in - mostly small country ranches. NYS doesn't require an architect stamp for under 1100 sq ft, but I know building based on an 8.5 x 11 drawing isn't going to work either. So, do I need an architect, or does the builder normally do the drawings in this case? The design is similar to one online, with a few changes, and I can get the plans from the online site for around $1000 with stamp, but I'd need to work via email for changes. Is that a good price? And I've seen online about structural engineers and residential designers...I'm not sure here either.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville