SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
einajr

Where to start in building a home?

einajr
9 years ago

Hello, everyone. I have been in negotiations to purchase a home and with all negotiations it can get challenging. Well, it got me thinking into building instead and on a whim I met with a builder and with the same amount as a purchased home I could build. He gives free estimates and a very reputable builder. I had decided years ago that I was going to have him build but the location of the new development made the homes small large. In home sales, his name is listed as the builder under the description and from realtors I have heard he is a good builder. That being said I sat down with my likes/wants (after reading this group you probably are all cringing). This happened after negotiations were going south because the seller didn't want to give disclosures that legally have to be provided signaled an issue with the house. We had a good conversation of what I was looking at and he would look at developing a plan and meet in a week. This is basically what I told him 4/3 and 2 car garage. Dining room, media/living room, utility room with a sink, wide bedroom doors and wide bathroom doors. One bathroom to two bedrooms, one in master, and one for the other two rooms. Master closet to be a safe room. Family room with crown moulding, fireplace and books shelfs but open to the kitchen Kitchen with gas stove, one oven, granite countertops island, breakfast nook, and stained cabinets. Blinds not drapes. Since this was rather rapid, I wanted to get info/advice from you. What else is needed or should I think of as a need. I told him I don't want it over the top but nice. I've had the weekend to think more and adjust some things but add others. My style is similar to what you see in pottery barn rooms. More focus on the furniture, but want the starting point as a good base as well so I don't want to skimp on things that need it. The great area and bathrooms will be the focus, I know I want wood floors throughout except carpet in bedrooms (which I know increase expense), no blinds but drapes now, gas stove top, electric oven, no book cases by fireplace ( I want it as the focal piece), not sure on the granite but don't know what else with wood floors, possibly painted cabinets to not compete with floors, would prefer something else beside tile floors in bathrooms, thinking néed storage, not sure what else except granite in bathroom (would prefer different material) and anything else or advice you can recommend. Thank you for taking your time in reading this. I have been reading the different posts and made changes to what I want based on that. Thank you jr

Comments (10)