SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

Help me live my climbing rose dream . . .?

MizLizzie
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you all for helping me yesterday with my drift rose issue. I am feeling much better about that. Overall, my garden this year is looking good and I am feeling almost brave enough to tackle my ultimate fantasy -- a climbing rose over my front door. Before, our shrubs were so tall we could not have gotten sufficient sunlight low enough to start it, but these were replaced last year, and it strikes me I have only this year to get one growing before sun is shut out again.

Here is a pic of our door. Zone 7B. It gets strong direct morning sun, dappled sun from noon until 2:30, and shade thereafter. I know this would require brick clips or masonry screws, and I have good experience trailing behind with fishing line, etc. My questions are:

Do you think I have the proper conditions here?

Do you think there is room to get the rose started up the wall given the shutter and sconce placement? The right side near the bay would be better, but will not get nearly as much sun while it is still short - shade after noon, I think.

Which climber would you recommend for me, and is it too late to plant it? Should I wait for autumn?

Visually, I have peach drifts, Carlton daffodils, a deep red crepe myrtle and various planters in this space so while I prefer a yellow rose, a white one might look best? I would like foliage as far into autumn as I can get it.

Thank you all for any guidance.

Comments (8)