SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benjaminnguyenv

Need Help for Basement Renovations! - Load bearing wall/point

Benjamin N
8 years ago

Hi,

I've just recently moved into a new home that has an unfinished basement. In it already has existing wood frame studs (unfinished) layed out in a few places of the basement; which are not part of the floor plan. For the last couple days, I've been doing some research as to if those stud frames are removable.

According to my findings, 1 out of the 4 Wood frame studs seems to be a Load bearing wall. (On the [3] wood frame studs, there is a framed doorway? which has a few 2x4's nailed together vertically) -this is how I determined if the frames are load bearing or not

My question here would be, can I turn the load bearing wall into a load bearing point using the "framed doorway" as a support beam?

I've also attached a few pictures of the floor plan/3D layout that i made using google sketchup.

-note: the red circle is the wall(frame) I want to get rid of, but if i cant completely get rid of it, I at least want to rid it of as much wall as possible (turn it into a load bearing point at the doorway instead)

-last picture is how i want the living room to end up- opened

-side note: other room designs are not finalized yet; im just working with what I got: pre existing framings, plumbings, pipes, etc

This will be my first project! excited and a little nervous

Thank you for any and all help!

Comments (19)