SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Backyard drainage mystery

smalloldhouse_gw
8 years ago

FYI: I originally posted on the plumbing forum; hoping I might get more input here.

For the past few months, we've had a muddy spot in one far corner of our backyard for the past few months. I figured it was the result of removing some vines in that area a while ago. SO I bought some new shrubs to plant -- only to find, just under the soil about 6 inches, a small obviously leaking PVC pipe.

Here's the thing: we have no idea where this pipe could be coming from. We've lived in the house for almost 12 years and had no knowledge of any backyard plumbing. We don't have a basement; no outdoor water features; no French drain that we're aware of; our gutters (which we replaced after moving in) aren't connected to any piping system. We have had no problems or changes to our inside water pressure or use. The county water authority came out and said it's not their stuff; they guessed it was some kind of drain pipe since it was relatively small and made of PVC.

We do have a massive teardown/new build going on next door, which is separated from us by a 15' high retaining wall. But it's on the opposite side of the yard, and there are open drain holes in the side of the retaining wall (no sign of any underground plumbing system).

We had a plumber come by today - he was mystified and is having one of the other guys in his firm come back tomorrow. He guessed from the angle of the pipe that it might be coming from the property next door that is still under construction, but wouldn't someone have noticed when they tore down the existing house and dug a huge new foundation (9000sqft house)?

Any ideas about what might be going on? If the next plumber can't figure it out, I could try our county permitting office - they do regular inspections of the construction site next door, including for sediment control. But I don't know for sure if it's related to the construction....

Comments (14)