SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aboutdabass

Brand new marble countertops have pitting!

aboutdabass
8 years ago

Just had Carrera marble countertops installed today in our bathrooms. After the installers left, and the sealer dried, we noticed a lot of pitting on the surface.

The fabricator says that's how the slab arrived in his shop, and he's not responsible for removing the pitting. The pitting does look natural, and I don't think it is damage or chips from tooling or handling. We did not notice this when we purchased the slab, and frankly, at that time we probably didn't know enough about the process to specifically look for that kind of defect anyway.

I've spent a couple of hours browsing the internet on the topic, and I've found many other posts with this same issue. But the responses are all over the map. Half of the responses say pitting is normal in natural stone, and we should embrace the defects. The other half insist that it is unacceptable and the homeowner should raise hell with their contractor.

Honestly I'm not sure why I'm posting this, since I will probably get the same mixed answers. But perhaps there is something about my specific case that is unique, so I'm giving it a shot.

Please let me know what you think. Is this normal? If not, whose problem is this? Should we demand that the fabricator fix it? Or should we complain to the place where we purchased the marble? Or is is simply our own fault for not being better educated, and missing it when the stone was purchased.

Perhaps this is only an opportunity to vent, but your feedback is appreciated. The photo isn't great, but gives you an idea of what we're seeing. Thanks!

Comments (9)