SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
capkaren5

How to create a beautiful lawn?

capkaren5
8 years ago

Hello experts and wise ones,

I have about three acres of "lawn", interspersed with garden beds and a wannabe pond. My house is in the centre and most of the property slopes downward from there.

At the end of season last year I splurged and bought a ride-onlawn mower and grass catcher attachment. So my life this summer will change dramatically for the better I'm sure. But by the time I bought the grass catcher it was too wet to really use for the fall "drop"; so the grass is still covered with dead leaves from the maples that line the North and West property lines.

Prior to the ride-on, I hand mowed a neat perimeter around the house and hayed the remainder a couple times a year. So there is very little pretty soft grass and lots of other grass-like greenery throughout.

a) I'm tired and looking at ways to being more clever and less labour burdened.

b) I want a lawn that looks and feels spectacular!

I tried running over the grass today on the ride-on with the blade up high to try and suck the old dead leaves up into the grass catcher; but they are so dense and matted down (despite the hours and hours of raking last fall) that it's notworking as well as my magical thinking had hoped for.

So I'm out there raking......again. But hopefully for the last time.

My questions are these:

1. Should one rake? There is a lot of matted down dead grass-like ground cover and of course the dead leaves. Is this goodnutrients that I should keep on the ground to nourish the lawn?

2. How ardently should one rake? I really tend to "go to town" on the lawn when I rake..... dig right down to the dirt trying to get out all of the dead stuff ~ whilst I see other people lightly getting the stuff on the top. I'm killing myself out there. Is this beneficial?

3. Does lightingfire to the whole thing help get rid of the unfavourable ground cover leaving room for new pretty grass to grow?

4. I have never fertilized. I'd like to, but it seemed futile to put fertilizer on top of the matted down dead stuff underneath the grass. Am I wrong? Will itwork its way through the debris and help grow new grass which will suffocate out the dead stuff?

5. Will fertilizer get rid of the non-grass "grass"? Some of it is like this crazy network of strings that twists and spreads and creeps everywhere. When I get obsessed with a patch of it and dig it all out, I'm left with bare ground. How do I "repair" the bare ground. Do I just addgrass seed or do I add some top soil then seed ~ it seems much lower than the grassed ground beside the bare spot?

Much gratitude for all of your insights and suggestions.

Cheers, Karen

Zone 5, Nova Scotia

Comments (5)