SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewm2211

Tips for creating Drought Resistant Lawn

9 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first post and I promise I did search the topic first and did my best, but I couldn't get the info I needed. So here I am.

So I'm in LA and recently with the drought, and subsidies, I want to tear out my grass and plant drought resistant plants, such as aloe and succulents. And I have a load of questions.

What do I have to consider as far as my soil's ph goes? I hear some people say it's important, and others just seem to plant what they want. Do I pick the sort of plants I like then make sure my soil ph is compatible?
I also have some nice palm and pomegranite trees around my house. I don't wan them to be adversley affected if I had to change my soil's ph.

Also I want to use decomposed granite as a ground cover. Forgive me for asking what may seem a silly question. But I plant and root the plants in the actual soil right, not the DG?

Also when roto-tilling out my grass how to I assure I don't destroy my sprinkler system?

Should I compact the DG or is that bad for the plants?

So right now here is my plan

-Starve my current lawn of water until it dies. 4-6 weeks?

- till out existing grass

- put in weed blankets

-shovel in 4 inches of DG

- replace sprinkler heads with drip irrigation

-enjoy

Is it that easy. Seems like I could knock out the bulk of it in a weekend, or is that optimistic. It's a small yard 1500 sq ft maybe.

Thanks!

Comments (2)