SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

Tree Establishment, Droughts, Soils, anhd Watering

spruceman
13 years ago

Folks:

Maybe my experiences here in Winchester with droughts and tree establishment could be of use to some of you.

The Winchester area is rather drought prone. We have mountains to the west that block most summer thunderstorms, and the Blue Ridge Mts. are to our east, keeping away much of the rain from coastal storms. We get an extended dry period just about every year (last year we had one spell of no rain for 37 days, and overall this year has been worse), and newly planted trees need to be watered routinely. Many trees I have planted have been slow to get established.

Well, here is what may be of use to some of you. Some trees I have planted have shown signs of real stress during dry periods for 7 or 8 years. Every time they begin to look bad, I have watered them. I will describe just one example. About 9 years ago we planted a Yoshino flowering cherry. Virtually every year when it has gotten dry, it has had a large portion of its leaves turn yellow and drop by mid-summer. Watering helped it recover, or at least stopped the leaf fall. This year we have had a moderately bad drought again. And this year we have had 7 days so far with the temperature near 100--several days over 100, and maybe two or three were 99 degrees. Well, for the first time since we planted the tree, it has not been affected by the drought--it is perfectly green.

If we had not watered it some of the years, I think it may have died.

Well, here is my point--dont give up on your trees too soon if they donÂt seem to get established well enough to go through dry spells. Trees, once they get established, are generally very drought resistant. If they werenÂt, they would not have survived as species.

And here is another point that I think is important--not all soils are the same. Some trees simply are not adapted to dry, shallow, sandy or otherwise excessively well drained soils. But my soils here are good--in fact they are rather deep. The main soil on my place in Winchester is the Frederick-Poplimento loams. These two soils are intermingled, but both are deep. I have also an area of Timberville silt loam, which is also very deep. You can Google these soils and read all about them. Most of the soils on my place here have a rooting zone of 60 to 72 inches. So, virtually any tree that has had a chance to grow for a while and gain strength, will get its roots down very deep, if not all the way down into the soils to 60 or 72 inches. These soils canÂt dry out that deep in two or three months, even if there is absolutely no rain.

So my point here is give your trees plenty of water until they have a chance to get their roots really deep into the soil. I have heard some people say that planted trees should be watered for three years and no more. After three years, just let them go.

I say no, keep watering when trees show excessive stress, if not before--excessive stress can weaken them too much. I have lots of trees I would have lost if I had not watered past the three year limit. These trees now are lush and, as far as I can see from this year, completely drought resistant--beautiful and lush. Some look so nicely fresh and green during this drought, that I can easily imagine that it has rained all summer.

But, I donÂt automatically water every tree just because some leaves turn yellow and drop. It depends on the kind of tree and how normal this can be for that kind of tree in dry weather. And the time of year. In late summer this can be more normal. If it happens in June or July, itÂs a problem. So donÂt misunderstand my point here. But if a tree is under real stress--and maybe it takes some experience to know what is real stress and what is not--water! If in doubt, water! Give your trees a lot of patience and care. . And donÂt water too often--only during dry spells, except for the first and second year after planting. And when you water, really, really soak the trees so the water goes very deep. Then you can wait two or three weeks before watering again if there is no good rain. And this will encourage their roots to go deep.

--spruce

Comments (14)