SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahebeth

New Construction: Electrical after Plaster? Is that okay?

Sarah
9 years ago

Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum and we're currently having our first pool built. and I think our builder is going to give me an ulcer. We started on February 6 and we're still not finished. We did have some snow...and a lot of rain, but we have also had A LOT of wasted days. And a LOT of excuses. In the beginning, he told us 8 weeks was our "worst case scenario" and we're now on week 14.

My concern today is that we're FINALLY scheduled for plaster tomorrow (supposedly), but the electrical work hasn't been done. He says it's no big deal to do it a few days later. Is that okay? I've read that the filter should be running as soon as the pool is full, so my guess is no.

And, as for the electrician, who provides him with the equipment? Does he bring it? Or does the builder give it to him? I was told electric would cost in the ballpark of $1200-$1500. We pay the electrician directly, not the pool builder.

Honestly, my fear is that he'll do the plaster and then we'll never hear from him again because we are supposed to pay the electrician and not him. I'm worried we could get screwed and not get the equipment for the electrical work. He still owe's us a a safety cover, too.

What we have left to pay is the plaster portion of the contract, the electrical (that goes to the electrician), and the final closing fee of around $1200.

So, you see my concern? I'm worried that I'll pay him for plaster and never see him again...and I won't have the pumps/electrical equipment or the $1500 cover...so, basically he'll owe me more than I owe him after the plaster.

He screwed up our decking last week, poured too much, and we paid him an extra $700 for the overage...he wanted $1400, but we gave him $700 (even though it was his mistake). I feel like I now have "sucker" stamped on my forehead.

Am I being too paranoid? Ugh. Please advise.

Comments (3)