SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Help me find odd-sized storage furniture

Sueb20
8 years ago

Our teeny tiny mudroom is in need of a little upgrade. We have a little shelf unit that is needed for misc "stuff" that doesn't go in the closet -- the dog leashes and collars, hats and gloves in the summer, sunscreen and bug spray in summer. You get the picture. Please don't suggest that I store all this in the closet because that just won't work.

The mirror on the wall is new and isn't going anywhere. It's made from pieces of reclaimed wood. It is 30" wide and I would like to find a storage piece that is also 30-32" wide that works with the rustic nature of the mirror. I'm envisioning a rustic pine piece or something white-washed, maybe. There are a few persnickety details that are making it really hard to find something:

- max width is 32"

- max height is about 42" and I don't want it to be too much shorter than that, because I'd like to maximize the storage potential and I think it needs to be that tall to look right with the large mirror. Obviously the light switch and alarm thingie are not moving.

- there is a heat register on the floor, so the piece needs to have legs and not too close to the floor. DH has a cow when he thinks the heat is being blocked by furniture. Also, he likes to kick off his shoes and leave them under the shelf unit that is there now.

- it can't be too deep. Something like 12" would be great but I could live with 15" or so.

I would love some drawers but that may be impossible given all the restrictions, so open shelves are fine -- we use baskets now and that's okay. If I use a bookcase, I'd prefer a unit with sides, unlike the one I have now.

Here is a pic that is obviously NOT staged! And is also sideways...sorry. Any suggestions? I am sure I could have something custom made, but I don't really feel like investing that much...

Comments (17)