SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Help me design the ultimate entryway storage cabinet

maddybeagle
8 years ago

Greetings, organized people! I'm working on a redesign of my tiny bungalow kitchen which will include carving out a space dedicated to all the non-kitchen-specific mess that arrives in the kitchen via the back door. The steps up from my back door lead into my kitchen, and I am trying to create a designated space for back-door-related stuff and non-food-type pantry items, to keep all that stuff out of the very limited storage and traffic area in the kitchen proper. (See attached sketch.)

I will have a space 44" wide and 9' tall (to the ceiling), and maybe 18" deep to devote to the Magical Entryway Cabinet. The idea is that this cabinet will be directly ahead when you arrive at the top of the back stairs, so it'll be easy to avoid bringing stuff that should stop at the back door any farther into the house. At the same time, I need to leave enough space in front of this area to manage the coming in/getting ready to leave routine with dogs swirling underfoot, and preferably have room to feed the dogs there as well.

Your challenge: how would you allocate space in a hypothetical 44" x 9' x 18" cabinet for:

Outdoor shoes (crocs, boots, whatever I've just worn in and want to kick off). Main shoe storage is elsewhere, but I always end up with 3-4 pairs of shoes in a heap in the kitchen.

A coat or two (main coat storage is elsewhere, but if I come in wet, I'd want to be able to hang a coat on a peg here

Hanging up keys

Reusable shopping bags

The stuff that goes in the kitchen junk drawer: twisties, rubber bands, screw drivers, etc.

Dog leashes

Dog food storage

Recycling that's on its way from kitchen to alley

The vacuum, because otherwise it has to live in my bedroom closet :-(

Storing kitchen/cleaning whatnots: cleaning supplies, bags, etc., plus outdoor misc. like bug spray, garden gloves, etc.

Given the odd dimensions, I am quite prepared to have this storage area custom built and not try to do it from stock cabinets, but I'd be happy to have ideas that use stock components, too.

Ideas and sketches welcome! Thanks!

Comments (26)