SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malangjob

Concerned about my Bermuda grass

malangjob
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

On April 15th, I fertilized with 28-3-3 and then 2 weeks later, I applied Ironite. A week later I did bionide liquid iron along with all season weed control. I have been mowing very low ; less than 2 inches twice a week and have consistently watered to guarantee at least 1inch per week. I am not sure the grass color attached is what it should be at this time of the year.Please advise accordingly . Maybe it will green up soon as the temperatures in Georgia are now up to almost 80 consistently. I am concerned that I Amy have fertilized too soon.

Comments (55)

• sherm1082
    8 years ago

Your yard looks great. I believe it's about to get unseasonably warm so I would expect to see it take off here in the not so distant future.

Tell me your lawn maintenance schedule. How often do you fertilize, what fertilizer do you use, etc. You said you switched to Bayer all season long control. Why and how do you like it? Sorry for all the questions but when I see someone with a great lawn I want to know what they're doing.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Let me give you my lawn maintenance based on last year which was the result of the photo I just posted. I would cut the grass every 3-4 days (1.5inches) and never bag he clippings! I always allow the clippings back on the lawn. Always mow when it's dry. 32-0-3 Scott's fertilizer applied every 4weeks using a rotory spreader. I applied ready to spray Ironite twice last year -- late spring and mid summer . Also applied Bonide liquid iron sometime in August. I understand liquid iron helps promote green grass. I irrigate deep once a week using a sprinkler system and early morning before sum comes up. Last year I did not use any weed killer and literally plucked any weeds. I believe the low and frequent mowing helped me in that area. I used the Bayer all season long weed control this year and so far all weeds gone except the crab grass.

• Related Discussions

Adding Bermuda Seed to Existing Bermuda Grass

Q

Comments (8)
    I do the 1"-1 1/4"/week watering but ony add fertilizer every few months (concerned I will burn it up). Have not added anything yet because our local extension agency recommends first fertilization after lawn has entirely greened up which it definately has not. There are no areas bad enough that I would feel new sod is necessary just an overall thinning (like my hair!:). I thought adding seed to the existing would thicken it up. The grass has not greened much so it is probably still in dormancy like you said iforgotitsonevermind. When I add fertilizer what ratio should I use? I've had a soil test done a few years back. The potassium and, I believe it is phosphate?, were at good levels. pH was fine too. Thanks.
    ...See More

Bermuda Grass Weed infestation in my Society Garlic bed - Ornamec

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for all of the responses. I had somebody over yesterday and their suggestion was along the lines of using roundup judiciously and carefully when the wind isn't blowing. Perhaps part of the recent issue I've had is I let the grass take off and didn't maintain the bed for a while (the rest of life got in the way). As for the irrigation, I'm going to convert the entire zone that handles that bed (and some other places) from MP Rotator sprinklers to 1/4" dripline. My hope is between whatever weed abatement I do (whether pulling or roundup or some other approach), the spot-watering of the plants should help to prevent the kind of widespread growth I've been seeing. BTW, a very helpful tool in the battle was a $10 tool I puchased at Lowes. The handle is about the size of a hammer, however the head looks like a pick axe on one end and has three claws on the other. It works great for attacking the stuff on a spot basis - MUCH easier than the screw driver I was using.
    ...See More

How Do I Keep Bermuda Grass Out of My Beds?

Q

Comments (2)
    Railroad ties work great for me. If you know where to look, old ones can be had at no charge after the RR has replaced them. They last a number of years. They can be a challenge to work with (I've always cut then w/a little electric chain saw) since they don't bend, but they do stop the bermuda.
    ...See More

Bermuda Grass (Vine) has infiltrated my fescue lawn!

Q

Comments (6)
    Yes, Bermuda hates shade, but even if you plant that tree, the Bermuda grass just heads on out towards the sun. "SurPRIZE!" It says. I have it here. Every now and then I launch a new attack. Every then and now I come back to my senses. Only to launch another, some months or years later. I do believe that newspaper and/or cardboard, covered with mulch to keep it in place, will work over time. But you have to cover the whole lot. The WHOLE lot. I have covered some, and did this over Winter, so the Burmuda grass thanked me for buffering it from the frost. What was I thinking? Cold doesn't kill it, it just goes turns beige and goes dormant. Heat doesn't kill it. Nor drought. Digging it up and leaving it in the sun for an aeon won't kill it. I hear that composting it kills it, but I would need to see that to really, truly believe it. If you were to grow six foot shrubs over your entire block, that would probably kill it. And live among a short forest. That might be my next plan.
    ...See More
  • sherm1082
    8 years ago

Thanks. Give your yard another month or so and I bet it really starts to wake up. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! Will certainly share pictures .. Am sure you will too.. All da best!

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As promised ,updated photos ... Looking much better

• sherm1082
    8 years ago

That's what I'm talking about!!!!! Looks like you might need some iron but it's still early. It looks great!!!!!!

malangjob thanked sherm1082
  • malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually I applied granular ironite few days prior to this photo so I expect it to green up pretty good soon. Thanks

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Trying to figure out what's going on here ..... Applied some fungicide last Friday but I don't seem to see any progress . The area gets enough water ..Any suggestions would be highly appreciated ..

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's what it looked like last Friday ..

• Eric E
    8 years ago

I'm no expert, but you may try some cracked corn in that area. They help promote good fungi to eat the bad one :). That's of course, if it is related to fungus.

malangjob thanked Eric E
  • malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Eric. I am really not sure what it is ... Grass appears dead but I am not certain ..... I know for sure the area has enough water ......

• BoatDrinksq5
    8 years ago

any chance you paused there while fertilizing? leaky fertilizer closer/flap thing...?

the green edge looks suspicious (like over fert..) - granted fungal stuff often has a dark green edge also.... as do dog pee spots.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I may have paused there .. Can't be certain .. If that's the case, how do I remedy that ?

• BoatDrinksq5
    8 years ago

Well just a good water soaking if it hasn't had it yet to push the surplus nitrogen below the root zone.

Most likely just time... Needs time (assuming it's a simple fertilizer burn issue)

Could try a good handful of sugar to stimulate soil bacteria....which will burn through some nitrogen while at it.

malangjob thanked BoatDrinksq5
  • malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you very much ..... Will try the sugar for sure

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• User
    8 years ago

Nice lawn. I'm in Southport NC and I have Bermuda also. It's been down for two years. I have bee trying to mow it every 4 or 5 days. Would you mind sharing what type and brand of mower you are using. I am using a rotary and blade scars are showing. I considering a reel mower. Thanks for your information and congrats on a great looking lawn

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. I use a TORO self propelled rotary mower and mow twice a week . I don't have it on its lowest setting as that scalps the yard. It is between the lowest and next to lowest setting. I mow very slowly and seldom use the self propell. I have considered reel mowers too but the good ones are very expensive.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm using a Toro self propelled also. I have it set on the second lowest setting. My blade scaring happens on the back lawn. The front is mowed on the same setting and we are satisfied with the results. My hunch is that when the sod was laid the ground was not prepped properly and therefore is not level. If I raise the blade one level the scaring is much less noticeable but I'm trying to keep it as short as possible.

Thanks for your info and your speedy reply. I'm leaning toward a reel (Tru Cut 20 with a front roller). Expensive but maybe the best solution.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I try to cut as low as possible as that is in line with bermuda guidelines. Some of my neighbors think am crazy for mowing so low and so often but i still get yard of the month:-). If you are a craigslist person, browse thru as i did see fairly decently priced reel mowers. If my wife allows me:)-, i will certainly invest in one for next year .... Post photos if you can and dont mind .

• User
    8 years ago

Ok.. I went out and took some pictures. The first two below are from the back yard. You can clearly see the swirls.

The next two are from the front looking down the driveway. We are happy with this look.

I mowed two days ago with the setting on the second lowest for both front and back. I think my speed is the same.

Thanks for your comments.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! One day i will have one like yours ....i am gonna post photos and ask what you think. I had edging stones that i removed. What should i do to allow the grass to grow to the pavement. I know bermuda spreads quick but was considering grass seeds to speed up the process.

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you. I like that you removed the edging stones. I do not have any experience using Bermuda seed. But if you fill in the spaces with sand the lawn will fill in. I have had two or three good size holes that I filled with some left over masons sand and they are completely filled in from last fall to now.

So I'm on the edge of getting the Tru Cut. The cost is a bit hard to swallow but we are looking at the back lawn every day during our dinner. I really am trying to avoid raising the height of the blade. That just delays the same thing from happening a month or so when the stems turn brown because the grass is to tall.

Nice chatting with you. Keep up the geed work. It looks like it's paying off.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks ... One more question ... What fertilizer are you using and how often? Do you use any iron?....

• User
    8 years ago

Scotts lawn products including pre and post emergence weed control. Fertilize every 6 weeks. First application of fertilizer was end of April (Southeast NC). Last feeding with nitrogen will be end of July. No iron application to this point. Water three times per week depending on rainfall. With sandy soil I try to put down about 1.5 inches / week.

malangjob thanked User
  • malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am getting concerned about these yellow spots on my lawn on the side of the house. Any ideas??

• User
    8 years ago

Malangjob: I really don't have any idea what that is. Did you use any spot weed killer?

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

malanjob. Can you figure out what it takes to post your pictures upright? I believe all you have to do is rotate your phone to horizontal (landscape mode) and snap away.

You have mixed green, yellow/green, and deadish looking area. If you have not used organic fertilizer in the past year, try that. I would suggest alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow) at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Do that in addition to monthly doses of whatever fertilizer you were using last year.

adesjard, The solution is not in the mower, the solution is to level the yard. Look in this forum for leveling topics. NOW is the time to think about leveling bermuda, and next month is the time to do it. Also adesjard, if you have more questions, you should start your own topic.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you both for responding. I don't know why the photos show up the way they do as i have rotated the camera before and same effect. I will work on it.

I applied Milorganite 2 days ago for the first time as i have always used chemical fertilizers (34-0-0) . I did not use any spot weed killers. I however used some fungicide several weeks ago. I do know that within the last week, theres been almost 4 inches of water (due to rain and previous watering).

Where would i get the alfalfa pellets?

I have photos taken May 22 2014 which showed the entire are very green and now i al concerned. I expected that area to have greened up pretty well by now .

Thanks again

• sherm1082
    8 years ago

I believe you can get alfalfa pellets from any horse feed store. Tractor Supply Company carries it and that is where I have bought it in the past.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much. Will go shopping for the pellets for sure. These 2 photos attached were taken on week of May 22nd last year...

• sherm1082
    8 years ago

Haa. I have twin boys and they push their toy lawn mowers around outside while I cut the grass. Nice yard.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My little man loves being out there but my 12 year old son cant be bothered:)

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

When you apply the pellets they will just sit there as solid pellets until they get moist. Once they get moist (next morning's dew), they will swell up into two-inch green worms in the grass. If you drag something like a hose or back of a rake or something across the surface then all that alfalfa meal will drop down to the soil where it goes to work. Little kids sometimes like to make a game out of those "worms."

The organic fertilizer will improve your organic matter and improve the health of the microbes you have. I'm thinking that will improve the color of your lawn and make it all consistently deep green. Give it 3 weeks after you use the alfalfa before you should notice the improvement. Otherwise you're doing exactly what you should be doing. If that does not clear things up, then a soil test would be next.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dchall, thank you once again. The affected area is 15ftx15ft so could you tell me how many pounds you'd suggest? Do i apply the pellets with a spreader?

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

15x15=625 square feet. 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet = 2 pounds per 100 square feet. So 2x625/100 = 12.5 pounds. Just throw it by hand.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again.... Would it hurt to just go ahead and apply it on my entire lawn..7500sq ft total at 20lb/1000sq ft. Say i get that done tomorrow and bearing in mind that i applied Milorganite 2 days ago, can i still continue my pure nitrogen chemical fertilization schedule(every 4 weeks). Next application is due 6/15.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alfalfa pellets put down earlier... Used 80lbs over 5000sqft. Paid $14/40lb bag at TSC. I cant wait to see what the pellets look like in the morning. I am sure my neighbors are wondering just what the heck the pellets are. Is it okay to mow the lawn in the morning?

• Wes
    8 years ago

You shouldn't have any issues mowing in the morning, but I typically put my pellets down after mowing. It's just easier on the blade. I also don't think either the alfalfa or the milo will cause you any issues with the fast release nitrogen, but I defer to Dchall or morph when it comes to fertilizer questions.

malangjob thanked Wes
  • t_d_harvey
    8 years ago

I do not think you will have any issues applying your normal fertilizer with the organics. IMO it is overkill, but will not harm anything. I still use chemicals (sparingly) as well as alfalfa pellets, but if I do, I rotate every month more so for cost savings as I have over 3/4 of an acre.

malangjob thanked t_d_harvey
  • malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I mowed this morning which crushed the pellets into the lawn. Expecting rain later and hopefully thats a good thing. Last rain we had was last wednesday amd we had over 2 inches. If we don't get any rain, should i water in the pellets (now powder). @ t_d_harvey, i have had vert good results with the chemical feetilizers (pure nitrogen) and since this is my first time with the organic stuff, i am semi reluctant to just let it go... Lol.... Will see how the organic stuff work and maybe next year, i will roll into 100% organic.

• t_d_harvey
    8 years ago
    You can water, but if they are no longer hard pellets than that is what u r looking for. Water just helps the hard pellet separate. If it is the scheduled day to water then go ahead and do so. I put down mine last week and have not watered yet. I sprayed liquid iron over the weekend and have been letting that and morning dew help breakdown the pellets. Only reason I have not watered is because my yard doesn't need it yet because we have had such a wet May in my area.

Remember it takes 3 weeks to see results from the alfalfa.
  • malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your input! What liquid iron do you use? I tried bonide before but saw no results perhaps due to misapplication. I think i have enough water to last until the end of the week.

• t_d_harvey
    8 years ago

I use bonide as well. Actually just did my first application with it this weekend. I too applied to little, but in spots around my driveway and walkway (where I was trying to be careful not to get on the concrete), I actually saw the grass turn almost to a black color. I went back and re-read the directions and I did not apply enough to the whole yard. 1 gallon covers only 1k sq ft. My front yard is around 8600 sq ft and I only applied 4 gallons. I am going to start a new thread that show results of the applications, but here is a few pics of what I saw after a day or 2.

Note for reason the grass isn't as green as it should be: 1) it is common Bermuda-seeded 2 years ago. 2) Haven't fertilized in over a month due to the rain 3) cut it very short last week to get back to the height I wanted the grass at. Cut 2 days apart and 2nd cut too over a little more than 1/3 of the blade. 4) I also am dealing with bumpy yard and uneven cut from my mower, which currently working on to improve.

• Wes
    8 years ago

Harvey, I appreciate your response. I have common bermuda in the back yard that I've been considering cutting back to the desired height. About three weeks ago we had so much rain that I couldn't mow for two weeks. I cut the grass back from an average height of 7" to 2". I also mowed a test strip right down the middle at 1". I have maintained the 2" height for the past couple of weeks, but on Sunday I cut it back to 1.5" and really wanted to go down to the lowest setting on my Toro, which is 1".

My hesitancy came from the fact that it really looks like it's mostly stems below the 1.5" mark. As of this morning it has greened up nicely. I think I will go out and cut it back to 1" today. Thanks again for your post. I was fearful that common bermuda wouldn't look good cut that low, but after seeing your lawn I think I will be okay.

• t_d_harvey
    8 years ago

No problem wesottinger. I am usually around 1.5" mostly because I have a bumpy lawn. As long as you cut often you should be ok, but I think the recommended height for common is 1.5"-2". But give it a go if you can go that low without scalping and see how it goes. It's Bermuda, it recover nicely if you do end up scalping in spots.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to everyone! After applying alfalfa pellets on june 7th, here's what the area i was concerned with looks like as of today.

• malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These are photos of the front yard -- my original concern that started this thread..

• sherm1082
    8 years ago

Wow. I'm jealous. Seriously.

It looks great. Congrats. You should be proud.

malangjob thanked sherm1082
  • malangjob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you sir! Thank you very much. I am very happy of the outcome.