SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisarnt

Landscaper 3/4 skirted this red maple 6 years ago. Graft?

Chris Arnt
8 years ago

I saved this tree as a sapling about 8 years ago from almost certain peril as they were building a house. Now it is a beautiful broad adolescent.

I have been cutting it back and training it to grow low and sprawling.

My hope was that the kids would eventually play and climb on its low branches.

Unfortunately, an inexperienced landscaper skirted this with a whacker about 6 years ago.

He stripped the bark from about 3/4 of the trunk. It has grown back a little and now back covers about 1/3 of the base.

It is too close to the house where it is and will eventually damage the foundation, so it needs to be moved this year.

I plan on moving it to my new house about 3 miles away. I was going to dig it up and wrap it in a few sheets to avoid wind damage.

Ideally I would have moved it after it went dormant in the fall. I still may wait for that time. I'm not in a huge hurry.

But moving it may be pointless if it is only going to rot at the trunk.

I'm pretty ambitious and a quick learner. I have done a little grafting with my sour cherry tree, but with limited success.

The tree is about 10' high and the trunk is 4.5" in diameter.

Two questions:

1. Can I cut away the dead part and graft new wood over it?

2. Can I just cut the 4" entire section out and graft it to itself? I know I would have to splint and secure it so it does not move a hair. I suppose I could do a plaster cast with rods in it. Also, I think this would stunt the growth. Which I would like.

I know this last one sound drastic, but the tree needs to be moved away from the house this year and if its just going to die I might as well try.

I've been trimming this back pretty aggressively over the years. for two reasons: 1. I want ti to grow low and sprawling 2. I don't want it to get too large.

As you see it is in a fairly shade spot that gets only about 5 hours of direct sunlight a day. The planned new location gets about the same.

Here is the damage:

Here are the two graft ideas I have in my head. I might need to wait a few years for an upper branch to grow large enough to work on the second idea. But my worry is that by that time the dead wood at the base will spread even more.

Comments (7)