SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pteroceltis

Interesting (to me) maple graft and Acer compatibilities

pteroceltis
16 years ago

Today I received the annual plant shipment from forestfarm. I was pretty surprised to see that the Acer (cappadocicum ssp.) divergens I had ordered for the species collection was grafted on... Acer griseum! I had never thought of these two maples from different sections within Acer as being compatible. That being said, the graft union looks great, better in fact than many grafts I have seen. If I can get my digital camera working, I will try to post some pictures if anybody is interested. It certainly makes for an interesting contrast in bark appearance.

While we're on this topic, has anybody else heard of Acer griseum being used as an understock for other maples we might not expect? Dirr claims that it hybridizes with A. saccharum, and I have heard of some nurseries using saccharum as understock for griseum clones. I also have the griseum x pseudoplatanus hybrid, which according to a thread on the UBC maples forum has been verified through genetic testing. I guess this is just a "one size fits all" understock for Acers? I wonder what other sections it might hybridize with. Would be very interesting if it was compatible with some of the Japanese types.

Comments (12)