SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saycats

Noob thinking of grafting an old japanese maple

Saycats
11 years ago

I recently lost a childhood pet, and had a nice idea to propagate a new plant from our big old Japanese Maple she used to love sitting under as a memorial. I am new to grafting and wanted to test the waters on whether this would prove to be a frustrating endeavor - from my research on the subject the process seems straightforward and largely up to just getting one of the graftings to take. I had thought to go find a seedling maple at the local nursery and keep it as a temporary memorial plant until winter to graft from our tree, which is when I'm told is the best time to graft (or could I do it even now?). The maple is very old - was big when we moved here 16 years ago, not sure of the exact cultivar but it is red with feathery leaves and the branches fall low, between 4-5 feet tall.

I assume the idea is not to let the seedling/rootstock get too big before you graft it, but I'd love to have a tree to care for in the meantime before I graft - if I got a seedling now, would it be too long to wait until winter to graft? Or could I graft it now? I've read that late summer is also an option, unless my sources are just completely incorrect. Any advice on increasing the chances of success much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Comments (3)