SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamshed_gw

Want to waterproof floor around furnace/AC room

Jamshed Mulla
8 years ago

I have a room in the middle of my basement which contains 2 air handler units for our heat pumps/ACs. The room also contains the water heater and a fridge. We recently finished the rest of the basement surrounding this room with laminate flooring. (The basement has been bone dry from the exterior for over 25 years.) However, we have occasionally had a problem with the AC condensate pump malfunctioning, which leads to water spills in the room.

I am installing a water spill detection system to shut off the ACs if there is water on the floor, but I would also like to create a barrier around the room, along the base of the walls so that no moisture seeps under the walls and under the laminate floor. (The walls are drywalled on the "outside" of the room, but just bare studs on the "inside".)

Any suggestions for good materials that I might use for this? I could use a good quality silicone caulk between the sill plate and floor, but I would also like to waterproof the face of the sill plates and an inch or so up the walls. I was thinking of something thick that I could either brush or spray on. (I'm not sure about Flex-Seal; sounds kinda hokey! :) )

Suggestions please!

Comments (2)