SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sean_pcrepair

What can I plant on top of new level retaining wall

Red Tumbler
9 years ago

Just finishing up project to replace aging retaining wall next to the pool. Have about 60'x4' of level ground on top of the wall and really have no idea what to do with it!

The area faces east so pretty much gets full sun in the morning, and will have shade from the privacy fence in the afternoon.

Zone 6

Looking for something that will cover and spread nicely and somewhat low maintenance. We back filled with a lot of gravel, so it should be well-drained. Topped it with compost/topsoil mix. The soil level is only 18-24 inches near the edge of the wall. About half-way back it is dirt all the way down instead of gravel.

I don't want anything that is going to have crazy root systems that could damage the wall or concrete pool deck.

Someone suggested phlox along the edge of the wall that will drape over and some leatherleaf ferns behind it. I kind of like this idea, but not sure if it is too much sun for the ferns.

I really appreciate any help. I have no idea what I'm doing and working on a thin budget and don't want to screw it up!

Attached photos. We don't have the privacy fence back up yet.

Comments (15)