SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiecta

Planting Privacy Trees Near Free Stone Retaining Wall

jamiecta
13 years ago

Hi. I am a new homeowner and new to this forum. Our current backyard slopes downhill to another house behind us in a cul-de-sac that sits well below ours. We are having a retaining wall built at the back of the property line right now. It is being constructed of very large, heavy, boulders in a freestone type system (as opposed to the mortared or interlocked precast concrete blocks). The wall is backed with weed-block fabric and will be back-filled with dirt and leveled out of course.

The contractor will be mulching about 12" in front of the wall (from our perspective). Along this wall I would like to plant some sort of privacy trees or bushes. My main concern is what to plant and how far away from the wall I need to plant. I am open to anything like leyland cypress, green giants, etc. Anything that will grow fairly quickly and give us privacy.

What I am hoping to find here are some suggestions on what to plant as well as how far from the wall I should be safe planting without putting the integrity of the wall in question. (I have seen dozens of threads debating what to plant for privacy and how far apart to plant the trees themselves, but not much combining that with proximity to a stone wall). I was hoping to only have to be inside the top of the wall line another 36" or so but I really have no idea.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (6)