SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhunts4663

Smell coming from ceiling, help needed.

mike Hunts
9 years ago

I need help. I'm having a problem in my home. I purchased my house almost 2 years ago. The previous owner disclosed a roof leak that had been repaired, they replaced the shingles on the whole roof. The inspector said there was no moisture. I have never seen a leak, but a strong smell comes from the ceiling when it's hot. I only notice it when it's 80+ outside. It's a strong odor, not moldy, more sour/earthy. It seems to be coming from the general area where the water had come in from the leak. The smell doesn't get worse after rain, high humidity, and is not noticeable in the winter. The ceiling is vaulted and exposed in 97% of the house, about 3% is enclosed as a cubby hole. I've contacted general contractors, builders, handymen, home improvement businesses. None of them seem to have an idea and direct me to call someone else. So far after 8-10 phone calls I've had no luck finding someone to look at it. Does anyone have advice as to who to call and what to tell them? Can you thing of other forums to post this problem?

Does anyone know what the material is? I've been calling it fiberboard insulation when speaking on the phone to potential contractors.

Here are some pictures 1,2 show the problem area that smells. 3 is to give you an idea of the ceiling structure. 4-7 is the cubby hole, it doesn't smell there, it's just to give you an idea of what the ceiling looks like without paint or trim.

Comments (7)