SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_463025896

Musty smell coming from outer edges of our floors.

HU-463025896
4 years ago

We have a 50 year old house in South eastern Pennsylvania. We moved in about 2 years ago and gutted the first floor of the home. Part of the first floor is built on a slab. (Just the family room, powder room,and mud room)

Over the past month or so, we've been smelling a musty smell in a couple sections of the house that sits on a slab. We also have electric hot water heat through baseboards. The smell is strongest by one of the outside wall floors and in the mud room where it is surrounded by outdoor walls. I believe the smell is coming from the floor. I've poked my head around and just generally sniffed everywhere trying to find the source of the smell. The weird thing is, is that you'll get a good whiff sometimes, and then other times it's completely gone when you're standing in exactly the same spot. It seems to smell the worst during days that it’s in the 50 degree temperatures.

I'm not even sure who to call to get this checked out. Our contractor came out and took a look at the spots and and said he couldn't see anything and everything was bone dry. Could it be something in our pipes in the baseboards? But then I would smell it all over the house, right? What kind of company should I be calling to investigate this?? Thank you.

Comments (12)