SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weeper_11

Need help understanding grape training

weeper_11
9 years ago

So I ordered 2 varieties of grape for this spring; they'll be arriving soon(Beta and Valiant). I plan to plant more later on. My plan is to have them growing on a trellis going north-south. I've been trying to read up on grape training methods, but I am getting to be quite overwhelmed with what method I should choose! Also, so much of the info seems to be for warmer climates. I'm also reading info that seems conflicting..maybe I'm just misunderstanding? I tried to look up the pictures intotheark had posted quite awhile ago on his/her site about pruning, but the site isn't there anymore.

So..

- should you have 2 trunks in zone 2b? In case one dies?

- Is it better to have low cordons, or high? And how low, is low, and how high is high? If I'm understanding correctly, low cordons may cause the grapes to freeze when they are ripening. But high cordons would make it difficult to lay down overwinter right?

- Are the Beta and Valiant the 'trailing' type varieties...so I would have to use a high cordon? How high should it be?

- How far apart should I plant my vines? In vineyards they seem to be quite close together, and I would guess that vines don't get that huge in our zones, especially if they are pruned quite a bit for fruit.

- Is it alright to have wire as the support? Or should I use wood?

- How do you lie the vines down for winter? Don't the trunks get to be very woody and inflexible?

Thank you for your patience!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths