SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitcom

Need help with grape vines.

pitcom
12 years ago

Last year I built a geneva double curtain trellis and planted 4 grape vines. I planted the folloing varieties, Himrod, Golden Muscat, Heavenly Blue and Black Mannukah. I trained the vines to have 2 trunks. Each vine grew extremely well. All the trunks reached a height of 6 feet plus an additional 6 feet of lateral growth on the trellis wires in both directions. I noticed that all of my vines are brittle and completely dead. The Black Mannukah and heavenly blue appear to be 100% dead. I do not see any evidence of a living xylem even 6 inches above ground. The golden muscat and himrod, both have a dead phloem but a green xylem at about 2-3' off the ground. But all the branches are dead.

Any idea what would have caused the die off? We had a very warm winter here and the lowest temperature it got down to was 24 degrees for 1 night. Other than that, it barely got below freezing much this winter. What should i do? Should i remove the mannukah and blue grapes vines and start over? Any advice would be great.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus