SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

A Fish For Sarah

John Liu
9 years ago

I would like to talk about cooking fish. And shellfish.

There are all sorts of health reasons for cooking seafood, of course.

Now I have an additional reason. We have a pescatarian living under our roof.

I'm not referring to the cats, although they do enjoy a bit of canned tuna from time to time. The fish eater here is Sarah, the daughter of a friend who is on a hiatus between finishing college and starting grad school, and staying with us while she gets sorted out on her new direction. She's stayed with us before, a couple years ago, and between them and now she has adopted the pescatarian way.

No problem, when we are eating meat, she's happy to graze on whatever. And it is a good excuse for me to start cooking more fish anyway.

The thing is, my fish and shellfish repertoire is kind of limited. I make battered fish (the kind you'd serve with chips). I pan fry fish. SWMBO likes baking salmon. Last night I made a clam and mussel linguine. Tonight I'm going to sear some peppered tuna steaks, with a vaguely Asian sauce. But that isn't a long list. I'd like more ideas.

So, I'll throw this open. What are your favorite fish or shellfish dishes?. Ideally that don't call for too many pounds of $18/lb halibut . . . Since I now have another mouth to feed.

Bouillabaisse?. Steamed fish?. Deep fried something or other?. Sushi rolls?. Chirasa?.

Gosh, maybe this should be a cook a long. Do we still do those?

Comments (17)

• javiwa
    9 years ago

DH and I fish a lot and bring home plenty of fresh fish (thankfully!). Easiest is steamed whole: score each side w/ diagonal slashes ~ 2" apart. Salt, sprinkle w/ minced garlic and lighter parts of chopped scallions, and splash with light soy sauce. Steam for ~ 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle the chopped green portions of the scallion over the cooked fish. Heat up oil w/ a small sliver of ginger, then pour hot oil over the scallions; top off with sesame oil. Delish!

^ Nice flounder caught in the Gulf of Mexico.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

javiwa,

I also add a few drops of sesame oil and a sprinkling of white pepper.

John, I do smoked salmon.

dcarch

• Related Discussions

Pix of Emma fishing

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Sarah, love your dogs. I have a golden named Jenna and she is the same color as your Murphy and she is so good, well still working on the jumping on people part, but for being 10 mths old I think she is doing good. She also love the pond and pool and so far so good has not gone in either. That may have something to do with the fact that she went thru the ice on the pond this past winter and is still a little leary of it, but she loves the fish and any fish food that might fall in her direction......LOL Louise
    ...See More

Fish Bones and Morning Glory Tower

Q

Comments (3)
    Oooo, love it, Anne!! My morning glory (blue dawn flower) looks just like that now, except I have mine in a HUGE pot (gophers, doncha know!) with a trellis stuck in it. The pot is against a fence, and the tendrils are crawling all along the fence, other plants, us if we get too close or stand for too long. LOL I've had it for one year, and it's one of my favorites!! I love seeing that fading flower with the fish bones! They make a great couple. :D Brenda
    ...See More

pics of fish

Q

Comments (13)
    I'm trying to get a picture of my bull frogs. For the past 2 nights my really big one I named Goliath last year has been on top of the net. Tonight I pulled the net back and dumped him in the pond. There are several smaller ones in the pond around the plant baskets. They all seem to be males. I haven't seen any females yet this year. Have heard a few croaks, but guess it is a little early yet. My daughter had a saucer size clump of eggs in her pond that have started turning into tadpoles or some kind of swimmies. Mr. or Mrs. Heron is visiting most every day. I'm torn against leaving or removing the net. I think the frogs would do better without the net, but don't want to take a chance with even one of my fish. I also have 2 Red Headed Woodpeckers about a foot tall in my Dogwood trees eating the berries. Hubby thought they were so interesting and was enjoying watching them. Then they pecked almost all the bark off the tree and I am angry with them. Then this morning they were pecking around in the grass. By the time I got the camera they flew away. Glenda
    ...See More

What I learned this summer...

Q

Comments (10)
    Sarah, I can't believe I left out #7! The pickerel rush, the water celery, the lizard tail and all the cattails are doing just that! Fortunately I know 2 people with barren ponds who are getting plants asap. Pam, you really think these babies will change color? I've got some much smaller that are showing distinct sarassa and shubunkin colors but these have stayed dark. Are some later bloomers than others? They'd be easier to re-home if they had some bright colors, that's for sure! Catherine, your ambition is my inspiration! I'm getting a tropical lily next year (it'll go in the up-sized lotus tub) and it's all your fault! I keep saying "If SHE can do it..." Vanessa
    ...See More
  • javiwa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Szechuan shrimp; coconut shrimp soup; clam chowder (Manhattan & New England); use your battered version for fish tacos (those are always fun for this age -- cream sauce made with mayo, sour cream, fresh lime, cilantro); blue crab boil. :)

Edited to add: none of the above ^ is very complicated or labor intensive.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Love creamy fish chowder of all types, and usually I'll bake or fry fillets and then use the leftovers to make fish cakes.

I also really like shrimp, and make shrimp fried rice, shrimp etouffee and plain old boiled shrimp, served cold with cocktail sauce. I also enjoy scallops, but they are darned expensive, no matter how they are prepared.

Battered and deep fried is probably my favorite, but not particularly good for you, so I try not to do that much. Elery grills a nice salmon steak with a brushing of maple syrup, we like that a lot too.

I like sushi of all types, and we both like squid, either deep fried or with just a quick stir fry with vegetables, too long and it gets rubbery.

We also like mussels and they are less expensive than many other seafood types available. Elery especially likes mussels fra diavolo, a spicy red sauce over pasta.

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

I make chowder often. More mediterranean style, brothy and without cream. But not tomato heavy. For four, just one small salmon fillet, a small cod same, 2-3 shrimp, a scallop per person. Lots of veggie in a fish stock, sear the seafood in cast iron one side, serve over chowder dividing seafood evenly. with cilantro and line or basil and lemon depending on availability. A nice crusty loaf of bread.

Mine is always a bit different depending on what i have. Leeks are a must and a well heated wide soup bowl. Always delicious and not at all expensive.

A good fish monger, if you catch him filleting a cod, will give you the head and bones. It is full of flavor and weighs often 2-3 lbs. They charge me a buck or two. Makes great stock. Freezes nice.

We keep the wild alaskan salmon small fillets, good shrimp, scallops, nothing farmed or far away farmed, in the freezer. Our diet is 80%veg so the initial expense seems large but we don't pig out on shrimp cocktail. : )

I do take a 1/3rd of the chowder and wiz it in the blender for a bit of creamy texture and don't miss any added milk cream. A little fresh/frozen corn helps. (my stick blender was my go-to but it must be dying or has a dull blade as it splatters all over)...that was a quicker 5 second blend and easier to clean.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(Furiously scribbling down ideas here)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

There have actually been entire threads dedicated to fish, that come to mind, many many ideas to scribble down from: Exoskeletal critters comes to mind and so does the fish cookalong. It's where I look for those ideas! A billion right in one place. I have a friend whose daughter is pescatarian, and I have similar obstacles. Luckily, I can buy a piece of fish, toss it in some soy, sesame oil, and some garlic, grill it, and she's good to go.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

In addition to things mentioned, I like to make a shrimp scampi w/ a rice pilaf, fish/seafood newburg, grilled fish, and a quick/light summer favorite is tuna & pasta salad. :)

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Olychick's recipe looks very similar to a dish I make called Moqueca, (which is a Brazilian Seafood Stew) that I made most recently at a large gathering at New Years Eve.

Moqueca as made in Brazil usually include an ingredient called Dende Oil (which I think is also called Red Palm Oil) to give the stew a yellow-orange color. I have managed to buy some Red Palm Oil, but when I don't have it I use turmeric to give the dish its characteristic coloration.

Here is the as-made recipe from theNew Years Eve gathering

Modified Makeshift Moqueca (serve with rice)

2 lb small raw shrimp (peeled, cut in half)
    2 lb talapia (cubed)
    3 large sweet onions (chopped)
    6 red, orange or yellow peppers (chopped)
    3 jalapenos peppers (chopped)
    2 28 oz cans petite diced tomatoes (drained)
    1 tsp turmeric (for color)
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 fl oz lime juice
    2 cans coconut milk

Peel shrimp and cube fish. Place fish and shrimp in bowl and cover with lime juice and black pepper.

Chop onion and peppers, cook in olive oil over medium heat in large
    pan until onion are soft and translucent. Add turmeric, cayenne and
    garlic and cook and stir for another couple of minutes.

Drain the tomatoes and add them to the pot, and cook for another 10-15 minutes.

Add coconut milk, stir in and bring to a simmer. Hold at a simmer until 10 minutes before time to serve.

Then add the fish and shrimp and the lime juice they were in, stir
    carefully so as to not break the fish pieces. Continue to simmer until
    fish and shrimp are cooked.

serve with rice.

• javiwa
    9 years ago

olychick & bob -- this dish sounds heavenly, and all of the ingredients are pantry staples here. Sounds like a weekend fishing trip is calling out to us!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I love that the first dish was a variant on the classic wok steamed fish with ginger, scallions and hot oil.

I'd also recommend expanding your Thai repetoire: Pad Thai with shrimp, Green Curry with Fish, Red Curry with Shrimp, Tom Yung Kung, Drunken Noodles. A great way to inexpensively please a crowd (a little shrimp or fish stretches a long way, especially with some tofu added in) and really quick and simple once you have the ingredients on hand

Miso-glazes work well on fish like Salmon or cod. Just blend honey and miso in equal parts, and glaze the fish. So simple, so beautiful and delish.

I love making a pasta with a spicy tomato shrimp sauce -- sort of an Arrabiata with Shrimp. Just a dose of chili flakes and extra garlic to a good marinara, along with shrimp, is an easy and quick meal as well. Even my dad, who doesn't think "noodles" make a dinner, loves this.

• Islay Corbel
    9 years ago

I love a really good patatas bravas with prawns in the spicy tomato sauce.

Can you read a recipe in French?

http://www.labigoudene.fr/recettes_pesked-poissons.html

Plenty to look at there. Too many to translate!

I love a traditional Provençal aïoli - just boiled potatoes, leeks, carrots, and cod served with a mayo so garlicky that if the whole family doesn't eat it, then you won't be able to stand the smell - and it will linger for days lol.

Fish stews with lots of potatoes and served with rouille. Local to here, just start off with the usual, onion, garlic, add leeks, carrots, potatoes, fish stock, then start adding the fish depending on cooking times.....then rouille or a garlic mayo at the end. Or toasted cheese on baguette slices. Yum.

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

I make this colorful stew in summer when garden-ripened tomatoes are available. You can add additional herbs but I like the flavors of the fish and vegetables to shine through.

FISH STEW

2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 large onion, cut in half crosswise and cut lengthwise into thin slivers
    1 large unpeeled zucchini, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 peeled carrot, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    1 large stalk celery, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    3 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half crosswise and cut lengthwise into thin slivers
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 pound firm white fish, cut crosswise into strips 1 inch wide
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, garlic, carrot and celery; saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.

Stir in tomatoes, wine, broth and parsley. Cover, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add fish, stirring gently. Cover and cook another 5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. 4 servings.

Like Bookmark April 26, 2007 at 6:35PM

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

All the above covers my favorites.

Chowder, fish stew, bouillabaisse, for brothy.

Crab cakes, fish/cod cakes. Over a nice bed of salad, side of veggies.

Steamed like javiwa's beauty pic and so simple. -any plate, platter, that fits over a lidded wide shallow sauce pan works great for steaming on the stovetop

Another hearty dish is my 'shipwreck' that i've posted before. A one pan dish and feeds many. Cast iron on stovetop heat lined with thin potato, sweet potato, onion, in the oven to roast,...then any veg on hand...squash, beans, celery, beets, etc, even a mound of cooked mixed grain...

When veg, potato is tender, add fish fillets. This is cod that i topped with, olives, panko, pecans and herbs, lime/lemon slices...back in the oven uncovered...

to roast and toast and cook the fillets....My sister does not eat potato so she just has the rice with the fish...Dad digs deep for the roasted crust of potato...a bit of a one pan crowd pleaser.

• trouzernc
    9 years ago

I've been making fish tacos often the past few months. I prefer fresh not frozen fish and I have used swai, catfish, any mild fish that is fresh and not too thick; sprinkle with a spicy breader or just Cajun seasonings, put on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until fish flakes with a fork and looks done in the middle. Slice fish portions into 1 1/2-inch finger shapes and serve on warm tortillas with cabbage slaw and chipotle mayo.

Teresa

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    9 years ago

Here is a recipe from DanaIN for fresh salmon cakes. I'm posting it because I know you have access to a lot of fresh salmon:

Fresh Salmon Cakes

2 cloves garlic; minced
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    2 dashes Tabasco (or 1 teaspoon Old Bay)
    1 egg yolk (or egg white)
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons real mayonnaise
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (less if table salt)
    fresh ground pepper to taste
    2/3 cup coarse white bread crumbs
    1 pound fresh salmon
    1/2 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil

In a small bowl, combine garlic, onion, Tabasco, egg, parsley, mayonnaise,
    salt and pepper; set aside. Remove skin and bones from salmon and cut into
    small cubes (about 1/2-inch); place in a medium bowl and gently stir in bread
    crumbs. Gently fold egg mixture into salmon and bread and refrigerate at least
    2 hours before shaping into 4 patties.

Carefully coat the outside of each patty with Panko crumbs. Heat oil in a
    non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot and add salmon cakes.
    Fry the cakes until brown, about 4 minutes on each side turning only once.
    Serve with lemon wedges or your favorite tartar sauce.

*May substitute cracker crumbs or bread crumbs for the Panko.

Marilyn

Marilyn has not posted for a very long time, but I still make this recipe of hers. It is quite different from salmon cakes made with cooked salmon.

Here is my own recipe for deviled crab, based on what I used to get in Galveston as a child:

Deviled Crab

16 oz. Crab meat (Snow crab is fine)

1 tsp Lobster or Crab soup base (or 1/2 tsp salt)

3 tbsp butter

2 tbsp olive oil

1/2 large onion, finely diced (approx. 1/4 cup)

3-4 stalks of celery (including leaves) diced

8-10 fresh Serrano peppers, all seeds removed, and minced

1/3 -1/2 cup flour

1 tbsp minced fresh lemon thyme

1 tsp minced fresh Thai basil (optional)

1 tsp fish soup base--crab or lobster preferred--dissolved in 1/2 cup
    water or clam juice

2 tbsp Dijon mustard (or spicy brown mustard)

3-4 tbsp lemon juice

2 dashes of cayenne

1/8 tsp black or white pepper

1 egg, slightly beaten

2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs, the size of small peas

1-2 tbsp butter, for the crumbs

Have all the ingredients ready-mince the onion and celery and set
    aside together; mince the herbs and peppers separately and set aside. If you
    are using crab in its shell, remove all the meat first and then put it in a
    small bowl. Add the optional crab or lobster soup base, if desired. If you can
    get lobster base, this will improve the flavor the most, but crab or clam base
    is fine. Adjust the quantity depending on the saltiness of the base.

In a medium or large saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter and add 2 tbsp
    olive oil. Add the onion and celery and saute for about 3 minutes, or until the
    onion is all broken up and separated. Add the Serrano peppers and cook another
    2-3 minutes. Then add the flour and continue to cook to make a light roux,
    stirring constantly. Add the herbs and stir to combine. Add the water with soup
    base (or clam juice), and stir to make a paste and remove from heat. Add the
    mustard, lemon juice, cayenne, and pepper, and allow to cool slightly.

Pour a small amount of the paste into the beaten egg and combine
    before adding the egg to the paste. Add the crab meat and stir to combine.

Lightly
    grease a 9"x6"x2" baking dish (or individual ramekins) with
    olive oil, and add the mixture, leaving about 1/2" space from the top of
    the pan. Press the breadcrumbs into the top and dot with butter (or drizzle the
    butter melted) evenly over the top.

Broil for 5-7 minutes not too close to the heat or bake at 425° for
    6-8 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are crispy. Serves four as a main course
    or six as an appetizer.

Lars