SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

How to do cuttings

A poster here said that they were new and did not know how to do cuttings, so I am starting a thread about this subject. Everyone, please add to this thread. Really I just fudge at the easy plants. No figs or roses here yet.

I make cuttings usually on salvias and this kind of plant three joints down. Take off leaves except for those at the very top and then moisten the base up to the second joint and dip in the rooting powder for a dusting . I take a 4" pot with dirt, and take a stick and make a hole in your dirt and insert cutting and tap the pot. I use a potting soil with vermiculite or perlite added. Some people will cover the pot in plastic. Sometimes I will use a cut quart plastic bottle (with a hinge remaining) with holes poked in the bottom and the top, that I then tape back the bottle halves together after I plant in it..That will keep a moist environment (a plus in a hot dry climate). I put in 4 cuttings in a pot. I am rooting lavender in a bottle, 5 different salvias , mexican oregano, Eupatorium havanense right now. I often buy one plant and cut it back and immediately make cuttings as insurance and to flesh out m,y garden ( and other peoples too). It is great for going to plant swaps. What plant will root? I never know till I try to root it.

Some plants like to have cuttings with young pliable growth and some like it with woody growth. Mostly, I do the easy plants that like it on new growth like salvia and Mexican oregano.. Also some plants like to root at certain times of the year. Lavender wants to be started before they flower or in the fall. I find spring is best for most plants, but some differ. I do not do cuttings from roses of trees but lots of people on here do.

So if anyone else has a process that they would like to communicate to this gardening newbie , or to me since there are big gapping holes in my cutting know-how. Please chime in. There are so many variations on this theme. Hopefully we will all shed less money at the stores. Pictures would be good too.

I probably should take those big leaves off. The reason we do this is because they take to much energy out of the plant when they should be spending it on making roots. We do need to leave some leaves for the making of chlorophyll.

Here is the Lavender cuttings in the bottle that I made a month ago and they are growing like crazy. They are harder so I gave them the bottle treatment. I should have put in more dirt, but they seem to be doing alright. I should go in there and trim them back and make them branch. One can see the roots when they get to the plastic.

My nursery of many salvias and others.

Comments (12)