SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

how do I do cuttings of a datura- I have a variagated one.

cheerpeople
17 years ago

This is the first year my plain-green leaf double-purple datura has thrown a seedling with nice white variagation in the leaves. (this is the low growing datura with upward blooms- not the taller brug with downward blooms)

I would like advise on how to take a cutting of it. I see advise on how to do a brug. Is it the same for datura? I tried the white flowering datura just to get a little practice in and the stem goes limp not upright like a brug cutting that seems more woody.

I would also like advise on how to best get the seedlings to turn out variagated??

I'm guessing it would be best if it pollinated itself so- how do I do that and can the same flower be used or does it have to come from a different flower on the same plant?

If I can get this to work out I wonder if anyone has experience on how to interest a seed company in a new plant and perhaps which seed company to try? I'd like to think I'd get something for my efforts.

If I could get a cutting to work out- and overwinter it in the house- will it still be an annual? Or will it be a perennial if not exposed to the killing zone 5 winters? If teh answer is perennial then do I overwinter it like I read people do brugs- very little water in a cool basement or on a windowsill??

Ok well I have too many questions. Even if it doesn't work out as a $ seed I will still have learned something and will be a better gardener for knowing!

thx in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge,

( please email a response here or use my name or this topic as subject if private email so i don't miss it)

Karen

Comment (1)