SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sradleye81

couple ficuses, help needed

sradleye81
9 years ago

hello everyone,

I have a couple questions about how to proceed with these ficuses

Nerfolia- I bought last winter, with spider mites already on it. eradicated the bugs but a lot of the branching died off in the process. I want to regrow some thicker branches and I am thinking to repot (after transitioned outside) into larger pot and just let grow bigger. Should I thin out the existing branches now down to just what I envision as the keepers? or just let everything go? also the trunk on this one is now appearing to get an hourglass kind of shape, very skinny right beneath the trunk split, what to do? also trunk on left is pretty much a straight line, branching will break up eventually, but should I be bending, twisting, weighting, wiring? thoughts?

The microcarpa I am almost certainly going to put in bigger pot and just let grow some to thicken trunk. Should I chop the first branch on the left as its inside a curve? or not worry about that yet? Should I thin out some of the upper branching which is thicker than the lower three branches? or again am I getting ahead of myself? Thanks in advance

Oh and I am also wondering if I am disturbing minimally can I pot up right now. I am in western new York, zone 5a. Any direction appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored