SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi_

Dining room table suggestions?

Sochi
9 years ago

DR shown above with interim table, in winter.

I had hoped that my BIL would be able to do a DR table for our cottage, but he is pretty busy with larger projects and I'm impatient. Wondering if any of you have suggestions?

Often we are just four dining, but we have guests most weekends so need a table that can seat at least eight. Nothing too heavy, probably a mix of white and a light coloured wood like ash, birch, maple, white oak. I like the idea of wood legs and an easier to care for table top - perhaps in white or gray, but I'm not tied to that.

Here is a pic of a table I've come across that I like. As usual, it is in Europe and is challenging to find here. I like the versatility of the drawers as DH works at the table often. All ideas welcome!

Comments (53)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Mtn,
    Is the low apron an issue, i.e. bumping knees? I like that table a lot but have a tall husband :)

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

This, from DWR, is closer to what you are looking for, and on sale, in two finishes with different top choices.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

It might depend on the chair you pair it with? Im' 5'9 and DH is 6'1 and we have no issue. Some of our regular visitors are 6'2 or 6'3, and we've not seen it as an issue.

• lisaam
    9 years ago

It's a pleasure to see a picture of your dining room, the lovely low-sheen floors and the fab windows on each side. The snowy view is gorgeous, but I guess you are ready for green.
    I prefer the table suggestions submitted above better than the original one with white or aluminum legs (hard to tell in the photo). Something just a bit darker / warmer than the floors but still sparse looking. Cherry on wheels is cool.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

http://www.scandesign.com/collections/dining-tables?page=1

They have some nice options. I love the top of the Skagen table.

Your cottage is one of my absolute favorites. Makes me want to get a completely different house & style :-)

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I like the one you have there now.

Is it too small?

• alexamorrie
    9 years ago

I have the Portica table with frosted glass in my kitchen and I think it would look gorgeous in your space - I think it would continue the lightness/glass theme of your house and allow the view from your windows to be the focus of the room - and you can order it in custom sizes to fit your space http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/dining/tables/portica-tables

And I have Parsons in my dining room - the black would pick up the black of your heater in the corner - and again you can order a custom size. http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/dining/tables/parsons-tables

Your home is gorgeous.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Here are some interesting ones. This one extends on each end and can sit ten

Or this, legs extend to add leaves, comes in different colors/tones

Or this one

• steph2000
    9 years ago

If I had a large enough budget and space, I'd love to get one of these salvaged old hardwood tables. These are from Urban Hardwoods in Seattle, which has a great shop.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/the_story

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

oh wow, Steph's are incredible. Not a fan of benches, though, for dining seating. Makes being in the center tough.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love those live edge table although I have to say that the legs of the first one somehow "don't go" IMO. Not proportional?
    I still like Sochi's pick from Arco a lot.

Or maybe this one:

Live Edge Modern Rustic Industrial Iron Base Dining Table · More Info

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

sochi, I didn't realize this was your [gorgeous modern] home until just now- there are so few modern home furniture discussions on GW, I should have guessed. I love first picture you posted (the one with the little drawers). (I actually think almost every table pictured would look good but that's my personal favorite).

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I like pretty much all of the ideas you've suggested.

Nosoccermom, there is an Arco rep or store in Toronto, I emailed them but haven't heard. That table just became available in January in Europe, I'm sure it will take some time to make its way to the other side of the pond. I love so much about it, mostly the practicality, but is it too cold!

Tibbrix, I've looked at that first one you posted, I really like it. Need to find it again.

Mtn, that shaker table is great! Maybe too chunky for my place but it is lovely.

Lyban, the one we are using now is from our city home. It is walnut and I'd prefer a lighter wood at this house.

Jlc, many great options at scandesign, I love Otto, but the base is walnut. And DH doesn't like glass tabletops.

Alexamorrie, thank you, both great options.

Tibbrix, love that website! There are two or three I really like. All from Italy though, so a great distance to travel and very expensive. Love them though.

Steph2000, I love the salvaged live edge tables. I can get one done locally for a better price quite easily. Originally that is what I wanted, but I feel that live edge isn't appropriate for this house. Not minimalist enough maybe? But the tables are great, I'm reconsidering my decision.

Anyone else care to weigh in on the live edge option? It could be local, relatively affordable and beautiful. But is it a good match for the space? Compare the Arco to the live edge. Hmmm.

Thanks again everyone!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Hm, I prefer the Arco. I like the drawer and its spare but interesting look, BUT I also like the live edge table if the edges are not wavy and if you combine it with a more minimalist (metal) base.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

I don't care for the live edge. Maybe I have seen it too much.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Or maybe the issue is, I like a live edge in an urban setting, where it is unexpected. You have live edges outside your windows. In your space, the contrast is the smooth, sleek, modern. Live edges provide the organic contrast in non-organic spaces.

That's I think what I don't like about it for your space.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I love the live edge tables and feel that they relate to the outdoors that you see all around your lovely room. Kind of 'bringing the outside in.'

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What about this one, Stilege, currently on sale at Dot and Bo for 869.00?

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtn, you articulated exactly what I'm feeling about live edge. I too have live edge in the city and I think that is why I'm resistant to it at the cottage. It is kind of counter intuitive, Chicagoans, as I totally get what you're suggesting as well. You would think that live edge would be appropriate given the location. Yet I don't feel it really is. It could just be that the recent popularity of live edge has also turned me off a bit. Familiarity breeds contempt?

Nosoccermom, I don't love the legs on that one. Love the price though!

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just received a new EQ3 catalogue in the mail today. They have a new DR table. No pics online yet, so I've taken a couple of the catalogue pages. I'm intrigued by the possibility of the dark teal base option, with the oak top. Any thoughts? Good price. Sorry about the photo orientation!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Very nice. The top is very pretty. The teal sounds beautiful, and different.

It's sort of Jetsons Organic :-) I love it.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I still like the first one the best.
    Agree that the legs on that Dot and Bo one are kind of clunky.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

will someone please explain for me what a "live" edge is?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

steph2000 posted a couple of examples upthread and there are tons of examples on the internet. However, it is when the carpenter follows the natural edge of the wood for the forming of a table and so producing a unique piece of furniture. Some of them are really cool. Usually only the bark as been removed and the next layer is the edge of the table.

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear you nosoccermom. I will dig a bit more and figure out whether the Arco table will be available here soon. And the price. Thanks everyone.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Take a look at the Hearty Table by the Novogratz it does have drawers, I think it is a good looking table. Google search will show more views.

Hearty table by Novogratz

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

clever table, raven

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Thanks, I am absolutely in love with your shaker table with wheels.

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Raven, that is a great table! Wondering if the wood is too dark? Love the practicality of the drawers.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I like the wood color but that's personal choice. It's Acacia wood which is really pretty wood. It comes in 2 sizes which is nice. You have so much fantastic light in your room I don't think it would look too dark in there.

Fabulous house by the way!

Here it is in a room in use for a better perspective .

Hearty table

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love Mtn's table for you space but I think I like Raven's Hearty table the best!

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like CB2 doesn't carry the Hearty table anymore. And I phoned two stores about the Arco drawer table, no dice. I search goes on.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

humm you might try contacting the Novograts directly?? I love Cortney she is so sweet. How those kids have grown!!

https://www.facebook.com/Novogratz

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

ok I will try to help find more options
    table with 3 drawers
    Ok maybe not an actual dining table but I just love the travel trunk table by Jonathan Sowter

Trunk table

several beautiful tables here

shaker fine wood furniture

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Call or email Arco in the Netherlands. Hey, with the exchange rate these days, it shouldn't be outrageously expensive.http://www.arco.nl/en/contact-en.html

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

And then there's this one..... Also with drawers.

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is stunning. Walnut I guess? Where is it from?

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Sochi,

Have you looked at maison corbeil. I like the miller table and the phase.

http://maisoncorbeil.com/en/sections/dining-room/

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lyban, thanks so much. I hadn't looked at Maison Corbeil. I love the Vega table, totally different look but I think it's fabulous.

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking at this Danish table too, white oak and laminate top:

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Sochi, it wasn't very nice of me. It's American Walnut, but the table is in Switzerland, and even though they may ship abroad, it's 7K Swiss Francs.
    http://www.stauffacherbenz.ch/main.en.php?id=3

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I'm chiming in with another option from Room and Board (my favorite furniture store, so I am biased). The Rand Table with stainless steel legs has numerous tops to choose from and a few different sizes, too.

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks CK and no soccermom. Finally got a quote on the drawer table from Arco. $6700 for the smallest, probably well over $8k for the size I want and shipping. Possibly too dear for a table that will be in constant use.

The Danish table I posted above with the laminate top is $3700.

The EQ3 table is $1300, great price but the quality won't be nearly as good as the European tables. I hate having something shipped. Which is why I wanted my BIL to make it. Full circle.

Decision time I guess.

• Sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again to everyone for the great suggestions.

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

Haven't read all the posts. Kimora by MGBW home? It's dark, but I think it would look great in that room. Happens to be on sale, but is not terribly expensive at full price.. I have it in the 96" and because it is our only dining table, I had a custom cover made for it -- not a "patina" aficionado. Cover comes off for parties/special occasions.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

This might be heresy, but I like the one you have.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Full circle :)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Blu dot Branch with black legs (91" would seat 8)

Actually the grey legs are cute too