SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

Minis are perfect for California drought deprived gardeners.

jll0306
9 years ago

On a whim, knowing nothing more than I have a ferosciously blooming noid, I ordered some AVs from ebay, based purely on looks and price. I assumed they were all normal sized plants, but when I got them and began looking them up I see that I have two large standards: Splendiferous and Simply Smashing, one standard (Smooch Me), one semi-miniature (Rob's Hippity Hop) and one semi-mini chimera, Vertigo.

Well, all I knew about minis was enough to offer them as a suggestion on some forum, in answer to a gardener who wanted to know what the smallest possible flowering plant might be that she could cultivate in a city apartment. If I had ever actually seen one, I had paid no attention to it.

But once I had one in my hands, I realized I could have all the plants I could possibly love and nurture, with a negative impact on my water bill. A forest of these babies would still take less water in a summer than I would normally use in a week in one Earthbox. So, ya, first there were 3, now there are thirteen.

I ordered a 'grower's choice ten pack from the Violet Barn. Three arrived blooming already: Rob's Cotton Ball, Rob's Boondoggle, and Rob's Fuddy Duddy. Another two arrived in bud: Delores Royal Prince and Rob's Gum Bubble. Those 5 are in precious little cachepots already, sitting on gravel that holds them above a quarter inch of water to meet their humidity needs. The others (Rob's Kitten Caboodle, Rob's Boogie Woogie, Rob's Scrumptious, Rob's Love Bite, and Rob's Chilly Willy) are in the same south facing window, grouped together on a humidity tray.

Prowling through this forum for advice on caring for these, I find that it is almost universally recommended that I repot them right away, in a lighter mix. But I am really loathe to do that right away, particularly for those that are in bloom. And as the rosettes of the others do not yet extend over the edges of the cup, they could do quite a bit of growing before really needing to be repotted.

It seems to me like it would be less of a shock to the plants, particularly while they are adjusting to a new environment, to leave them in the soil they are growing in for the first six months before changing out the medium. My question for those of you with more experience, is this good thinking, or stinking thinking?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give this Mini newbie.

(And, oh yes, I do want more!)

Jan

Comments (5)