SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debu

Ready to put tomato seedlings in larger container

debu
9 years ago

Last year I was given a Purple Cherokee and Sunbright tomato. They were so delicious I decided to try and save the seeds. The seed saving went well and I planted them April 4th in Hydrofarm germination kit. They now have their true leaves and are ready to pot up. I just now turned off the germination mat after reading here that it is not necessary after germination and that it can cook the roots. Yikes. I also read on this forum that you gradually pot up the seedlings into larger pots. My instinct told me this, but read on tomato dirt that they should be potted up to 5-6" pots. My greatest concern now is when I repot do I keep them under flourescent lights. Tomato dirt says yes, but now with the larger pots I'm not sure how to set up enough lights to cover them all and how long to keep lights on now. This whole process has been so exciting and terrifying at the same time! BTW I am in central Virginia where the weather is still iffy. Warm enough today I think to put them out, but too windy. Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks, Debbie

Comments (7)