SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khabibul35

Containers for tomato seedlings (what pace do roots grow at)

khabibul35
16 years ago

Hi, everyone. I'm not exactly new but not as experienced as all of you so I wanted to ask some questions about the seeds I just started. They haven't sprouted yet but I'm already thinking about what to do with them.

Right now my seeds are in little cells of 1 inch by 1 inch containers that are about 2 inches deep. They look almost exactly like the ones pictured here > http://bp1.blogger.com/_QQ5kMeX0bIw/RiLy6iLfJYI/AAAAAAAAAEY/lHA3xfrDIRE/s1600-h/Picture+384.jpg

Now, how long can I keep them in there once they sprout? I have grow lights that I got for this growing season but if I have to replant the seeds there won't be enough room for them all. I was hoping to keep them in these cells for as long as possible but don't know how long that is.

If they sprout by the end of this weekend, April 10, can I keep them in the 2 inch deep cells until April 24th? Then I plan to pick the best seedlings and put them in 2 by 2, 4 inch deep cells. That should be just enough space to get me to plant them about 2 weeks later after my last frost date of May 3.

Are these containers too shallow? Is it possible to keep the seedling in the 2 inch deep container 3 weeks? or even the full 4 weeks until planting? Sounds like its too long but I really have no idea what the root growth of tomatoes looks like and was hoping to get some help.

Thank you in advance. Glad to start gardening again!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio