SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paola_b

China? Old garden rose suggestions for shady location/ concrete wall

paola_b
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone! I have a 5x5 concrete corner wall at the end of a very long raised (3 ft) flower bed that I would love to cover up with somewhat unpretentious rose bush :)) The location gets full sun only for 4 hrs. (10am-2pm). The soil in that particular spot of the flower bed had been amended several times, but nothing thrives there, just barely survive. Every couple of years when I dig in to remove a rose that is just "sitting" there, the soil is awful. So I amend it over and over with the same results. Thus, it has to be a no-fuss rose that grows "like a weed", takes pruning well, a good bloomer...rust and mildew resistant (coastal San Diego) and not a climber. Since the concrete wall is white, any color but white will do.

I've got already Lyda rose, Grandma Hat, Belinda and a lovely bush of Burgundy Iceberg in the yard, so would be nice to plant something else.

By the way, my Rosette Delizy is about 10 inches tall since last November!! Has some new leaves, but extremely slow grower. Well, that's for another topic...

Thanks to all:) I learned a great deal here about roses and OTHER things too!

Paola

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County