SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple

Installation Tips for Tilers: Installing Hand Towel Hardware

By Any Design Ltd.
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Over the years I have developed a few tricks to installing things like Hand Towel Hardware. What I have come to believe is that the screws and anchors including with these items to be of the lowest quality and my first rule is to throw them out.

This most current install no different. I drilled two small holes in the I Marmi wall tile (1'x2' tile) and found to my surprise some solid blocking. Instead of the 1.5" screws I used 2" deck screws.

The trick with these single point install hardware items is getting them so they don't work there way out of level and come loose. To prevent this I like adding a little silicone behind the finished plate.

The note is not for me but for eager clients that can't wait to see what the new towels look like in place.

You can not make it out but with this install the mounting block is even distances from the grout lines. I think this looks best but not always works out.

To ensure no silicone slim was left behind after the install process I used Methal Hydrate and clean shop rags to buff out the residue - both from the wall tile and the hardware.

The last trick is to install the bar a hair out of level. The right side is just a tiny bit higher than the left. The hardware has a little flex to it and once the towel is in place will work out perfect. Same principle is used for things like rain heads that come off a long arm. Best installing the wing backs a little out of level so when the rain head is installed the arm is level.

Comments (3)