SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Installing Hand Shower Bracket -- Drilling Hole in Tile?

pricklypearcactus
14 years ago

I purchased a Moen hand held shower as a secondary fixture for my new bathroom. The hand held comes off of a diverter on the main shower head to be used when needed (cleaning self or the shower). My walls are tiled with fairly hard Daltile Navelli Carerra Star in 12x12s.

The instructions say to drill a 5/8" hole in the tile! I had been hoping I'd be able to just drill through a grout joint to minimize the need to drill into the tile which is very tough to drill into. But the directions specify a 5/8" hole in order to get the winged metal bracket behind the wall for support and my grout joints are only 1/8". Is this correct?

Any suggestions for drilling this hole? Doing the holes for the plumbing was difficult and I submerged the tiles into a tray of water and drilled with a diamond tipped bit. Normal masonry drill bits would dull before they even got through the glaze and were useless. Drilling on the shower walls I will not be able to submerge the tiles. Do I want to try running the shower and having a helper hold the hand held and spray the bit as I'm drilling? Do I want to try to drill over a grout joint or would it be better to be in the center of a tile? What is the best way to prevent any cracking since the tile is already installed? I love my new tile walls and I am terrified I will destroy them trying to install this hand held. But I would really like the usefulness of the hand held shower head.

Comments (12)