SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1419587

Grout and installation tips for matte/frosted glass tile?

User
10 years ago

I've chosen a 1" x 6" offset mosaic matte (frosted) glass tile for my kitchen backsplash (pardon the kitchen question here, but as my question is specific to tile installation rather than kitchen aesthetics, I thought this would be the better forum). The color is a soft white.

The tile tearsheet says to "seal matte finish with a penetrating sealer before and after grouting". Does that make sense? I wouldn't think you'd seal a glass tile like you would a stone tile (and in fact my search turned up at least one thread here about glass tile troubles caused by the installer using a sealer), but maybe the matte finish gives the sealer something to adhere to? Would there be a particular type of penetrating sealer to use?

Also, any recommendations on grout? The tear sheet specifically says to use unsanded grout with the gloss tiles, but doesn't say anything about the matte tiles. Is there a benefit to using sanded grout if it isn't contra-indicated with the frosted tiles (I'm assuming there's less danger of scratching)?

Here is a link to the tile tearsheet if that might be helpful.

I'm not DIY-ing this, but at this point in my renovation I've learned the hard way that I should try to know as much as possible about the various options so I can make sure the contractor does things the way I want in the end.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Beth

Comments (11)