SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (428)

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

No, that is all the bareroots that I have for trade right now. Are you interested in trading your roses for other plants?

• nummykitchen
    8 years ago

Maybe rose mallow / hibiscus? I dunno. Kind of low on room for anything but roses LOL!

• Related Discussions

Roses and others on sale...40% off!

Q

Comments (8)
    This is how I shop for sale roses at the end of the season: look past the foliage and flowers, down at the base of the plants and see how they look--green canes that are clean and healthy? Or are they scratched, spotted with disease, dried out? Is there a good number of canes (at least 3 fat strong ones)? Pick the healthiest ones. Then look at the foliage, flowers and new growth--has it been well cared for or is it kind of dried out? Pick the healthiest of the healthiest. It's better to be choosy and just take the best rather than buying a whole bunch at once. As you learn more, your taste will change. Being choosy and starting slowly gives you a chance to learn and observe without spending too much money. Think long term.
    ...See More

Stay away from Gurneys, Brecks and Springhill Nursery

Q

Comments (35)
    Honestly, if you get plants shopping to you in the mail, some are definitely always going to die. Spring Hill and Brecks allow you to do the no payment until you're satisfied thing just as a way to move plants they were gonna have to throw out if no one ordered them. If you're not dirt broke, just buy the plants. Some will die, some won't, but you won't be dealing with this nonsense. Plus, any company is pretty likely to work with you until you're satisfied if they ship you something dead. No company that is legitimate should be guaranteeing that anything at all with definitely grow in your yard. People plant poorly, water poorly, fertilize poorly, it doesn't make any business sense to make yourself liable for that, unless you have a system for ignoring actual complaints and sending folks to collections. 🤷
    ...See More

They are finally liberated! Update on my Breck's sale roses

Q

Comments (14)
    I lost 2 out of the 15 I got. all A Twitter and Ayanna Dabba Do (which was a repeat so I actually ended up with one either way. My Bella Roma was looking bad at first and I thought it would die, but it made it and although small, is growing actively. :). Out of all the ones I got my favorites are Royal Amethyst (it's like an improved version of Angle Face) , Crescendo, and Happy go Lucky.
    ...See More

Brecks' Rose Sale 5 Roses for $24.99

Q

Comments (162)
    I received my 3 DAs from Wayside Gardens (last day sale) yesterday, planted them today after soaked them over night. Just received 2 bare root rose trees from JP today (ordered on their last day sale after 11:00pm :-), I was just testing them out, didn't think the order could go through). I have been watering all my newly planted bare root roses everyday. Helen, What's the temp in CA? You might need shade and a lot of water for those bare root DAs. What are the names of your DAs? I got Gentle Hermione, Olivia and Heathcliff.
    ...See More
  • KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

That is OK. I totally understand. I have to clear some optimal area for roses and still don't have enough room. Thanks.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago

nummykitchen, is the Love Song the Purple in the collection? I was really hoping I would get the Purple Splash as mine.

• nummykitchen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

No problem, Karen! Wish I didn't have those and we could have traded :(

Yes, Love Song is the purple. I did get a Purple Splash in the group I got yesterday though so maybe you will too!

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

Cindi McMurray, that is so funny about the Miracle Gro. Yes, it is the potting mix I piled around the roses, LOL!!!

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

My last order arrived today. Along with Sheila's perfume and Julia child that I ordered specifically, I got:

In the mood

All a twitter

Belinda's Dream

Purple splash

Summer love

Summer love was the largest one of the bunch. :)

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

My sister got exactly the same set. She already has Belinda's Dream and her place is too small to grow a climber so she gave BD and Purple Splash to me. I already have BD but I guess I can grow another one for cut flowers. The challenge is to find a place for Purple Splash.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hope I can get a Belinda's dream!!! I should receive mine tomorrow, it's already in the post office today. Belinda's dream......belinda's dream.......pretty please with a rose bud on top. :-)

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few weeks of this. I had to laugh, I read SoFl Rose's post and immediately thought, please don't let me get a Belinda's Dream......I already have three! So summersrhythm I hope they sent you mine. I'm also hoping for no climbers, I have absolutely nowhere to put one. It is really interesting how each of us have enjoyed hoping for and being happy with so many different things.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Beth, I wish they sent me 5 Berlinda's dream by mistake. :-) Sweet dreams everyone. :-)

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

Yeah Beth, I actually have 2 Belinda's Dreams, but I don't mind another. Its such a good rose and makes a good cut flower. I have no idea where I'm going to put my purple splash, but I'll find a place. Somehow I always do. :)

And just for fun, here is a photo of my first Breck's bloom. Its Crescendo from my first order and I'm smitten!

• Katie
    8 years ago

SoFL Rose remind me, when did you receive your first order? Wow, a bloom already! So encouraging.

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

Oh Wow! SoFl Rose that is a beautiful bloom. I have to add Crescendo to my want list. I love the ruffled look.

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

I received them on may 11th. They had already broken dormancy when they arrived, but not by much. But they took off when I planted them. Every day they seemed to grow a few inches. I had my first bloom on Angle Face about 2 weeks ago actually. She now has about 8 buds on her. Crescendo has 4 big fat buds. Jump For joy also has a good amount of buds on her (like 6-7). The only one not budding yet is Hot Cocoa, but it still has a lot of nice growth and a good amount of leaves. Yabba Dabba do has remained somewhat small, but was small to begin with. She's a single rose so I expect she'll bloom a lot once she gets going. I read that she blooms in large clusters that give her a hydrangea type of look so now, after being disappointed that they sent me a single, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what she'll look like. I do like when they form big clusters that can be cut to look like one large flower. :)

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

Most recent and final order came in today. I received

In the Mood

Summer Love

Love Song

Pumpkin Patch

Brilliant Pink Iceberg.

I am thrilled with the first four because I have none of them and the BPI is the second one. Pumpkin Patch and BPI have brown canes and mildew so their survival is iffy. I called Breck's and they said since the order was placed after the cutoff date that they aren't covered under their standard warranty. Even if those two do not survive I am pleased with the other three and they are in very good shape. They've all broken dormancy but not by a lot. It is 95 here today and they've been on the road for 8 days so all in all I'd say they are in good shape.

I have them soaking and will pot them up tomorrow.

• Phylis
    8 years ago

Beth, thanks for mentioning the Breck's warranty issue. It helps to know how Breck's operates. I got in on the $10 sales thank you guys for the code. Mine has all broken dormancy in the pots (Bella Roma, Grande Dame, Royal Amethyst, Veteran's Honor, Yabba Dabba Doo). Looking at everyone's nice sets, I'm so tempted to get more! ^_^

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

Their warranty covered the first orders from them but the last order was placed after their cutoff date posted on their website. I have no problem with their not providing a warranty on this last bunch because frankly I expected them to not fulfill the order since they'd already closed out their rose sale.

I have enough roses, I have enough roses, I have enough roses......I'm watering pots and repeating that to myself. I just received an email from my local nursery saying they have 450 own root, 3 gallon pots of roses on sale through Sunday or until they are gone for $10. Oh man! I keep telling myself I'd have to buy a pot and potting soil for each of them so they really will cost more than $10! Sheesh, where did I put that self control.

• Katie
    8 years ago

Beth - enough and roses, two words that just never go together! Like leftover chocolate, nah, never gonna' happen!

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Aww, nice problem to have, 3 gallon own root pots for $10. Jeez. Good luck.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    8 years ago

My order came! My order came! Ridiculously excited lol! I had ordered Doris Day - I looked her up after several of you got her and liked her so why not? In for a penny....

The 5 for $10 were

Brilliant Pink Iceberg

Cl. Purple Splash

Summer Love

In the Mood

All A Twitter

So glad I got Purple Splash and Pink Iceberg. The all look really good, they really wet them down and super wrapped them. In the Mood is huge! Does anyone know if Purple Splash is cane hardy in my area? Can I pillar it? Or if it tends to die back can it be grown as a freestanding shrub? Thanks to everyone for your input! And Summer!! Thanks for the original post!! I think I wound up getting 22+ roses and the price was right! off to HMF to look everyone up! Stay cool - it's 95 by me today and seems like we just turned the heat off.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago

I got mine today too. Everything the same except substitute Belinda's Dream for BP Iceberg. I got 24 plus my friend at work gave me her love Song because she doesn't like purple roses. LOL

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got Belinda's dream!!! :-) There is a God somewhere, thanks a ton!!

Belinda's Dream

Cl. Purple Splash

Summer Love

In the Mood

All A Twitter

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Good for you, Summers. Are you going to pot them up?

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    8 years ago

Yay Summer! I know you really wanted that one!

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

My roses came today. I am beyond happy! This is what I received:

Belinda's Dream

Cl. Purple Splash

Summer Love

In the Mood

All A Twitter

Yea!!!!!!!!

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

My bed of cheapo roses are doing much better than the more pricier roses that I planted near the house. Aldi roses are blooming right now. They are so awesome! Walmart roses from last year are doing well too. Now, I have added a row of bargain Brecks roses and look like they will do well. This location is in full sun and it seems to suit the roses just fine. So busy planting roses that I have no time to take pics. Have to take a breather tomorrow and take a few pics of some of the blooming roses.

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

So glad to hear that Karen. My Aldi roses are still going strong. They are doing much better than the Austins I paid so much money for.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks guys! :-) I am going to plant them right in the garden tomorrow.

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

Glad to see you got your Belinda's Dream, Summer. Happy planting!

• Cindi_KS
    8 years ago

Such fun to read! I swear it's like a little kid's Christmas morning! It was more exciting waiting to see what roses I was getting than it was waiting for roses I specifically chose. The fact that they sent such GOOD roses, and that they arrived healthy looking to all parts of the country is just amazing. In looking through the 400+ posts, it kind of looks like the shrub roses went to places with harsher climates and the HTs went to better rose areas, or am I imagining that? Was there a pattern?
    Beth if I didn't have my rose society coming over Saturday for a tour, I would be on the road to Dallas to shop at that sale! $10 for 3 gallon roses? Guess I never can get enough roses, lol. Which nursery is that? Maybe my cousin in Dallas would shop for me..... I have enough roses, I have enough roses, enough, enough,
    I hope these roses all make it. This was the best deal ever!

• justkristyj
    8 years ago

This may become a yearly thing!

• nummykitchen
    8 years ago

Little update on mine, I am seeing some tiny leafing out on Tuscan Sun and Dick Clark. Most of mine are potted but I put Love Song and Purple Splash in the ground. So far the only one I'm a little worried about is Henry Fonda.

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

I am definitely worried about Bella Roma. All of my roses are either planted in the ground or pots. This particular rose has only two thin canes and one is brown and dried out looking. It is not a very strong looking plant they sent me. I will be surprised if it makes it.

Many of the others that have been potted for a week are leafing out. I planted the last 5 tonight. Belinda's Dream went in the ground, All a Twitter went in the ground, and Purple Splash was also planted in the ground. I plan to buy a rose pillar to train that one on. Summer Love and In the Mood were put in pots. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank Donna, so glad to get a Belinda's Dream in a $10 set. Just ordered one from ARE for $10 plus shipping. So now I have double delight. :-) Too tired to dig holes after work tonight, I'd do that tomorrow night, but still not too sure where to dig now.......... :-) Did you just pot Bella Roma? How long ago? Let's hope for the best.

nummykitchen, just googled Henry Fonda, that's a pretty yellow rose, hope it will grow faster, and see it in bloom soon. Did you just potted Henry Fonda? Does it have some shade under the hot FL sun?

It's like a rose party online here! You guys rock! :-)

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

Summer, you must have a big piece of ground for roses! Lucky you! :-) I went out after supper tonight and it took me 2.5 hours to plant two in pots, and 3 in the ground. I came in when I could no longer see anything. I planted Bella Roma about 7 days ago, Everyone else is leafing out or at least as a half an inch of new white growth, but Bella Roma is doing nothing. It is such a pretty rose and is supposed to be very fragrant. I hope I don't loose her. All of my pots are on the north side of the house and only get a teeny tiny amount of sun in the late afternoon.

The Brecks sale has been like a rose party online. I love reading what is going on with everyone.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

I have enjoyed this party from the sidelines, so now I'm waiting to see photos of your roses as they bloom. I used to think I was the only nut growing a large collection of roses in pots so it is a great relief to learn that I am not alone. Thank you all for all the fun :-D

Melodye

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

Melodye- Welcome to the rose party! You are not alone! :-)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Welcome Melodye. :-)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Donna, I don't have a huge yard, I am piling them up in the garden, all the rose trees have base roses to cover their feet, and 2 ramblers/ climbers growing together.......running out of room, and I think I planted them too close too....... :-)

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

melodye, you are not alone with growing roses in pots. If I don't count all the cuttings rooting in plastic cups, (54) and I don't count all the cuttings growing in 6" pots (18) and I don't count, wait I have to count the starts in gallon pots because they are trying to bloom. So if I count everything in one gallon pots and bigger then I have 91 pots of roses. Everything has to be watered every day. That doesn't include the begonias and petunias and daisies and hostas in pots. Every morning I have coffee on the patio watching the birds on the feeders and enjoy the breeze before it starts to heat up and I water everything.

Some of my Brekcs bare roots have brown starting on the ends of their canes. I'm hoping their trying to break dormancy in the dark heat while shipping hasn't harmed them. A couple look very bad so I'm simply keeping my fingers crossed they make it.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Thanks very much for the welcome Donna R and Summersrhythm. I do hope your Bella Roma makes it, Donna. Summer, your ability to find rose bargains leaves me in awe. My rose planting and pruning season is just about to start, but I'm not getting as many roses as you did, that's for sure,although some will have to join the "pot ghetto" this year. A few I ordered weren't ready for delivery this winter, so my list is already started for 2016!!! But after all, anticipation is much of the fun:-)

Melodye

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Beth, I have started counting my roses according to the advice on the Rose Count thread from the other week.I am severely in deficit,it seems. I also have annuals, perennials and bulbs in pots plus cuttings and seedlings so have the same watering demands in summer. Hope your roses recover from shipping woes.

I also enjoy watching the birds come into my garden, but the pesky cockatoos WILL nip off the rosebuds and then just leave them. The other birds don't do any damage, except for scratching the mulch around, but that I can live with.

Melodye

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Yes Melodye, welcome! We have been bitten bad by the rose bug. At least I know I am severely addicted and can't resist its lure. It does not help either when you visit the rose gallery and drool over
    roses so beautiful that you tell yourself you can't live without. When the sales come about, all your resolutions just go out the window. Your mind says no but your fingers keep on working those rose orders. Before you know it, several boxes of roses show up on your doorstep.

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

Cindi.....I forgot to respond to your question. The nursery is Covington's in Rowlett. They are out of the $10 roses but have about 75 at $14.88. Well make that 73 because I bought two last night. Those will stay on sale until they are gone. The attendant said they may add more to it from their #1 roses as it gets hotter. Right now they have about 200 #1 roses at $29. The roses at $14.88 were delivered as #1 but the nursery takes out anything not up to their #1 standard and puts them in the half price greenhouse. I've only ever purchased from their half price selection and they are beautiful bushes and take off and grow just fine.

They also have all kinds of annuals and shrubs and perennials in their half price greenhouse. That is where I get everything I buy from them. Still way better than what Home Depot or Lowes offers.

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

If anyone is interested, Brecks has put their rainbow of roses collection on sale now for $24.99. 5 roses for $25. Not bad! I'll start a new thread so anyone ordering can share what they got.

• Rebecca Tasco
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I misplaced the new IRIS COLLECTION OFFERS there are three all together The RAINBOW IRIS COLLECTION, the TWICE AS NICE REB LOOMING IRIS COLLECTION, and the BATIK IRIS COLLECTION. One of the outgoing sale envelopes offer them for 19.99 and the other for 29.99. However one or two of the irises in the different offers are not the same. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST/email me THE KEY CODE AND IRIS NAMES IN EACH collection'scollection's for 19.99!!!! Pretty please!!!

I actually used to work for the parent company Gardens alive that takes orders 4 brecks. For that reason I'm not going to be able to call and get it for myself however if someone can help me out I can give you some Insider information that will save you at least 50% off every time you order and believe me it will be worth your while expecially since as you guys found out with that roses collection it is normally priced at $150!!!!!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is this the code 0775592? It was in the iris sale email. The code is good until May 30th. Are you an early bird or what? I am just half awake, not 7:00 yet........1 more hr to get up on Sat. :-)

• Rebecca Tasco
    7 years ago

No an insomniac.... is it on the collections? If you don't get the envelopes in the mail then yes it would come through your email

• Rebecca Tasco
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

May be but I realize that online you have to have the collection item #s because they are different than the normlayout priced ones );