SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Brecks' Rose Sale 5 Roses for $24.99

SoFL Rose z10
6 years ago

Hi All,

Last year we had a blast with this sale. It was a grab bag and everyone got different roses with their orders. They may go down in price even more later in the season, but 5 for $25 is still a great bargain. If anyone orders, let us know what you get!

http://www.brecks.com/product/rainbow-of-roses-collection-/on-sale

Comments (162)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You're welcome Zuzu and Cindi. I am glad you got the summer collection and the good deal from Wayside Gardens, good bargains! I saw Pretty Lady HT at a local nursery for $19.99, the blooms were huge and very fragrant. So I bought 7 sets of summer collection, I should have enough fragrance and cutting flowers this summer. What did you guys order from Wayside Gardens? I ordered 3 DAs from Wayside Gardens: 2 James Galway and 1 The Poet's Wife for $14.95 each. :-)

• lucillle
    6 years ago

Dingo those are awesome bargains, I'm particularly envious of the Caldwell Pink at $3!!

• Related Discussions

Hartwood Roses Sale - $5 own-roots!

Q

Comments (3)
    (cross-posting from the Antiques forum) My husband, the web guy, chose today of all days ... the first day of my clearance sale ... to change web hosts. The one we had was unreliable, so it had to be done. However, because of the change, my site will be in and out for a while. Sigh. If you try to access the web site and you don't get it, give it a little time and try again later. I'm really sorry about this. If you want to get a taste of things here at the nursery, whether the web site is down or not, my blog is still available. Link below. Connie Here is a link that might be useful: Blog.
    ...See More

Turned on a coworker to the Breck's Rose Sale

Q

Comments (4)
    Oh that makes me sad. Ordering from Brecks was a little risky but with care and attention most of mine made it. The price even with a few losses was wonderful. I'm so sorry she wasn't successful. I hope she tries with roses again under some different circumstances.
    ...See More

When does Brecks begin offering roses for 2016?

Q

Comments (14)
    Interesting you say that about Pretty Lady, it has been great in my garden, I've had 4 huge flushes, I got it from Breck's and it was planted the last week of April. Yes it has sprays with weak stems, which surprised me for a hybrid tea but it doesn't have the ugly growth pattern of most hybrid teas and is a nice bush overall which is good. It gets blackspot for me but seems to recover just on its own and keeps blooming. It has a strong fragrance which is strongest after the sun has hit the blooms. I've literally gone over at some other times of the day and not smelled anything on the blooms. I just cut this huge bouquet of it yesterday for my wife, she put it on her side of the bathroom vanity. 17 blooms on this spray.
    ...See More

Great rose deal from Brecks

Q

Comments (2)
    Love Breck's bargains too. I got 7 sets of Summer Collections, and 2 sets of Rainbow collections this year. :-)
    ...See More
  • Zuzu (Sebastopol, CA, 9a)
    6 years ago

I ordered three from Wayside: The Poet's Wife, Summer Nights, and Caribbean Breeze. I already have the last one, but as I mentioned before, mine's quite small, probably because it's an own-root rose. I think the one from Wayside will be grafted, so I'm happy to get it. I've been making a great effort in the last three or four years to replace all of my stunted own-root roses with grafted ones whenever possible. I used the code successfully, so thanks again, summersrhythm. Cindi, the math worked in my case: $3.49 off my purchase price of $34.85.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Cindi, Wayside sent very nice DA roses last year even for the sale. I don't know about the hybrid teas but DA roses were excellent. Here are 4 that I bought last year and are growing nicely this spring full of buds.

QOS

Alnwick

Princess Anne

Tranquillity (Cost me less than $10) This was such an awesome deal.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Sultry_jasmine, if you google the name, you will get a link to the AHS web page where you can read about the characteristics of the daylily such as foliage type (evergreen, semi-evergreen, or dormant), scape height, flower size, etc...

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b)
    6 years ago

Thanks Karen that is very helpful :) I bookmarked AHS so I can investigate further lol.

6 years ago

I wish they had the Downton Abbey Violet's Pride included in the summer sale bundle. I am going to try that one next year. Has anyone got that one yet?

Karen your Austins look really happy and healthy.

• Zuzu (Sebastopol, CA, 9a)
    6 years ago

I bought Violet's Pride from Rosemania earlier this year. It just produced its first bloom, which is rather unremarkable, but it is a first bloom and they're often deceptive.

• Nessdizzle Formally 6a, now 9b Central Florida
    6 years ago

I actually just bought their summer blooms package, 5/$15 and these are the varieties they're sending me.. • 1 Cinco de Mayo™ Floribunda Rose • 1 Twighlight Zone Grandiflora Rose • 1 Downton Abbey® Anna's Promise® Grandiflora Rose • 1 Downton Abbey® Pretty Lady Rose™ Hybrid Tea • 1 Sheila's Perfume Floribunda Rose - I've never grown any of these before because I'm a newbie when it comes to roses, but I just couldn't pass that deal up!! Along with all the other deals I got from there!! I spent about $100, but only paid $50 and I have like 40 different bushes and flowers coming to me!!! I'm super excited!!

6 years ago

I got Olivia and The Poet's Wife order from Wayside Gardens today. They look exactly like the ones I got straight from the DA website last year and packaged the same way lol. They are decent sized bare roots. I stuck ea one in a 5 gal bucket to soak. It was kinda hard to get Olivia's roots all in there. I will snap a pic tomorrow before I pot them up.

6 years ago

Nessdizzle, you are going to have fun planting all that stuff!

6 years ago

Zuzu, Violet's Pride is a pretty color. She will probably shape up for you once she's a little bigger.

• lucillle
    6 years ago

Y'all got me hooked on Breck's, lol. There must be people who check their sales because they get sold out in a couple days on some things. They posted a daylily sale, with the coupon I found it came to about $3 per named daylily. I thought about it for about 5 minutes and then jumped on it, because I think it will get sold out soon, the other daylily collections they had pictured were already out of stock.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

They have the best deals on earth! :-) And Their bare root roses are huge and healthy. I just received my 1st set of summer collection yesterday, they're really nice roses; I will receive 4 more sets today and 2 more sets on Sat. I should have enough fragrant cutting roses for my one neighbor through out the summer, she is sick in the hospital ICU, it will take her longer time to recover since she is 80. I ordered 7 sets total. :-)

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

That is a lot of roses, Summers! But I certainly can understand. I think if I were 20 years younger, I would go for it. LOL Haven't seen any action from my collection yet. Can't wait to see blooms on them. How are your roses doing, Summers?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

John just post a thread, JP is having a big sale right now. I bought 3 rose trees for $15.95 each! My roses are doing great thanks a lot for your tips on rose midge! :-) If you want any JP roses you have to be quick, I put 6 in the basket, and 3 of them sold out by the time I checked out (within 5 mins). :-)

6 years ago

Lucille, I got 3 daylilies since everything was 50%off. I haven't received them yet but I will report on their condition when I do.

Daylilies...

Get Jiggy

Darya

Blueberry Cream

• Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
    6 years ago

Summers, can you tell me how you care for the rose trees and if you pot them or plant in the ground? As far as I know, rose trees have to be released from their soil on 3 sides and laid down on the ground, then covered with soil for the winters we have.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Donna, I grow 25 rose trees in pots. I store them in my attached garage for the winter, and water them once a month. I used to have near 50 rose trees in pots, but one year I got too lazy to move them into the garage, I stored them in a plastic shed, they were all gone the next spring, they made me cry.......so I started again with 25 rose trees about 3 years ago. It's easy to do. I also have Polar Joy rose trees, they're very hardy, I grow them in the garden. Plus I have some hardy Canadian grafted rose trees in the garden, but those aren't as hardy as Polar Joys, I lost 2 last year, and this year 2 are 90% dead, 4 are still ok. I love rose trees! It's really a great deal for only $15.95 each. I added 2 more trees. So I ordered 5 rose trees from JP, I will have 30 in pots. :-) Give it a try, you'd love them too. :-)

• Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
    6 years ago

Thank you, summers. I can't decide which to order. I wanted Veterans Honor, but it shows available and then shows sold out when I try to add it to my cart. Which would be the most hardy, in your opinion? Which size did you order? I know nothing about these….

Looks like only Shazam is left in the 36" size. Did you order any of the shorter size, or the 36"?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Donna, This is the time take what you can, they sell out fast. I ordered 2XPope John Paul II, 2XScentimental, 1XShazam. I called back for 2 more before they sold out the first 2. Other rose trees are ok too since you are going to store them in the garage, and zone 6a is not that bad. Good luck and hurry up. :-) Sorry, I am cooking right now, I didn't see your post earlier, hope there are still some left......

6 years ago

Ok here are my Austins from Wayside. They are grafted on Doc Huey, I assume, so I potted them in 5 gallons for now. I had to cut Olivias roots quite a bit to get it to fit lol. The big orange pots are not the 5 gallons they are more like 30 gallons. They are going to be for my monster 2 Teasing Georgias which are in 7.5 gal pots but apparently have grown into the ground through their pots lol.

Olivia

The Poet's Wife..this one only has 3 canes and 2 are crossed which I wasnt really thrilled about. I ended up cutting the smaller one after I got it potted. I'm sure it will be okay.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Those look nice!

6 years ago

I just received the Brecks order of the Summer Collection and Julia Child, plus the Love Song I got on sale from Edmunds. The Love Song looks good.

I think I need some help with the others. OMG some are sprouting white leaves and some red leaves lol !! One, the Twilight Zone, is sprouting at the top and down low near or maybe at (?) the graft! OMG someone help me lmao. I stuck them in a big tub to soak in deep shade plus its cloudy today and sprinkling a little. I am gonna take some quick pics with my phone then post them so someone can tell me what I should do to give them the best chance.

~SJN

6 years ago

First here's Love Song from Edmunds I think it looks good. About tall as the 5 gal bucket under it. Im soaking it separately from the others just in case lol.

These are the 5 summer collection and also Julia Child that I got from the Breck's sale. Many are leafed out very white and some leafed out kinda pink. Not really sure what to do as I havent had to care for any white leaf roses that must od broke dormancy in cold storage.

Ok, the Twighlight Zone, I guess, is trying to live up to its name and be weird. Its sprouting very low. Can someone tell me if this is coming from above, below, or at the graft?

I'm thinking right around the graft so should I should just cut that part off?? There's kind of a hole where it broke through the graft part. See it in the 3rd pic just to the right of the sprout.

The next 3 pics are all Twilight Zone.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I'm not sure where that low sprout is that one can say for sure if it is the top rose or the root stock. I might leave it on and remove later if I guessed wrong. They look healthy. I've had the white growth early sprouts dry up and die sometimes, and turn green and grow other times, so I can see I'm no help. Good luck.

6 years ago

Thanks Sheila. I went out to check on them this morning. I cant believe how much the white leaves have greened up!! They are still soaking and are in deep shade. I may just let them soak another day. I added some fresh water. We have well water and they got a little sprinkle if rain yeasterday.

6 years ago

Look how much greener the leaves are today on the bushy one. They were pure white yesterday. Today they are actually green. :O

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Looks promising! I'd probably leave the shoots on and hope for the best. I've had the early sprouts make it or not and it did not really set the plant back if they dried up. New sprouts started later and it worked out either way. Good luck!

• nat1611
    6 years ago

I got the deal from Spring Hill Nursery, and my five are doing great. The weird thing is, all my other roses have been really eaten by bugs, but these five haven't been touched. Do you think that a systematic pesticide was used on them before they were sent?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Wayside Gardens just listed more DAs for sale!!! 10% coupon code: FABWG

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    6 years ago

Thank you Summer. Have no room but it's hard to say no to good deal David Austin roses. I figure I will just add more pots, lol. I ordered Queen of Sweden, Teasing Georgia and Lady of Shalott. Helen

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Lol, I did the same.

.......and JP listed more rose trees for sale......10% coupon code: FABJP.

Got more pots Helen? :-)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    6 years ago

LOL, Summer. You're bad influence. Helen

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Haha! Yep, bad inflence. :-) I bought their last own root PJP2 this morning, I wanted 2, but the lady on the phone told me they only showed 1 left. I also got own root Ballerina and Laguna,they are cheaper and bigger than bands......it won't hurt to just have 2 more. :-)
    Monday is their last shipping day.

I love this photo so much: http://designbitter.com/cheap-decorative-table-candle-lanterns-for-weddings/lovely-garden-wedding-party-decor-with-rustic-antique-hang-lanterns-trees-and-white-rose-flower-arrangement-spring-table-cloth-as-well-as-outdoor-wedding-lanterns-also-lighting-decoration-for-wedding/

So I ordered 9 PJP2 rose trees, not for parties, just for back yard decor, they look so cool .....I can't buy any more. I am done with this year's sale. :-)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

I have been getting a free rose in every order. So far I received 3 free roses: 2x Crush on You, and 1 Ballerina. Anyone else?

6 years ago

I am SO UPSET!!!! I just received an email telling me that the 5 bushes I ordered close to a month ago are out of stock!!! The deadline for them to be delivered was yesterday and they tell me today 'sorry but those bushes are out of stock now'??!!!!! What the heck is that!?!? So now I have a huge area that those bushes were supposed to go, totally empty and just dirt I don't have the money to go buy 5 bushes from a nursery now?? Because they certain,y won't be priced @5/$15!!! Wow, I'm so mad...I was looking so forward to those.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Try calling them Nessdizzle. Maybe they can substitute?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Sorry to hear that Nessdizzle. Breck's should tell you 2-3 weeks ago when the summer collection was sold out.

Today is the last day for Wayside Gardens, they listed more DAs for sale:

Olivia

Heathcliff

Gentle Hermione

10% coupon code : FABWG

I know it's more that Breck's, but still cheaper than the nurseries.

6 years ago

Summersrhythm, you must have a huge yard for all those roses lol.

The ones I got that were white, are all leafed out green now and look totally normal :)

Nessdizzle, that really sucks, I can't believe they waited till the last minute to tell you! Not nice! You should call them and see if theres anything they can do.

6 years ago

Thanks everyone, I did email them to express how disappointed I was with the way they went about this. Who knows if that will get any results! I'm just really bummed out as I was so looking forward to them :(

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    6 years ago

My 3 discount Austin roses from Wayside Gardens arrived today (UPS ground, 7 days) and the condition as expected for discount bare roots shipped at this time of the year. I trimmed all the black molded parts and am soaking them 24 hrs with a little bleach added to the water. Here are the photos of the arrived roses. Helen

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Are those from Wayside?? It is a bit late but I think they will do ok for you.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

I received my 3 DAs from Wayside Gardens (last day sale) yesterday, planted them today after soaked them over night. Just received 2 bare root rose trees from JP today (ordered on their last day sale after 11:00pm :-), I was just testing them out, didn't think the order could go through). I have been watering all my newly planted bare root roses everyday.

Helen, What's the temp in CA? You might need shade and a lot of water for those bare root DAs. What are the names of your DAs? I got Gentle Hermione, Olivia and Heathcliff.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    6 years ago

This week temp is 70-80. Next week will be 90+. I will pot them and keep them in the shade with some morning sun until they recover from all the stress they have been through. I normally don't buy bare roots this late of the year but Summer's post of the DA sale convinced me to give them a try and I think I have enough rose experience from hanging out with all of you in this forum to make it work, lol.

They are Queen of Sweden, Teasing Georgia and Lady of Shalott. Helen

• R pnwz8a
    4 years ago
    Did this sale come back?
  • KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Hang in there! If you have waited this long, just be a little patient and the collection can go down as low as 9.99.

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

R A, there is a great deal going on this weekend with Jackson Perkins. Mix and Match Roses 5 for $50. Use code CINCO. With this deal, you can choose the roses that you want. With the Rainbow Collection, you are sent the supplier's choices so sometimes you get roses you may not like or want.