SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
addicted2plants

Time to prune my favorite giraffe Adenium

addicted2plants Southern IL USA
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello, I have a 4 year old Adenium obesum that is in drastic need of a makeover. Her giraffe-like profile is much like that of my orchids!

Today I am going to take her out of the pot and give her a detailed pruning. I will also be trimming up and cleaning the root zone.

I have yet to see her bloom, but when she does her flowers should be red. I picked her up at the local cacti and succulent club when they were hosting an event at the St. Louis Botanical Gardens. Her leaves were brown and falling off, I thought she could just use a little TLC. This was my first Adenium so even though she isn't much to look at right now she still means quite a bit to me. I suppose this is why I have delayed this until now.

After Pagan's pruning pep-talk I feel like I can now safely modify this plant. Any suggestions?

The lighting in the photos below are terrible I know, apologies. I am wondering how much of this log stem I can safely cut off? Should I attempt to make that long branch the same length as the remaining branches? Help!

Tracy

Comments (116)