SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smoochas

Out-of-control Adenium, where would you prune?

13 years ago

I posted this under my other thread and thinking it might be getting lost there I'm starting a new one as I really need help/advice SOON!

I finally managed to track down all the ingredients for the gritty mix and am in the process of re-potting all of my severely neglected adeniums and succulents. YAY!

The plant needing the most help. Our super tall and slender adenium... This is what the caudex looked like when we got it out of the pot.

{{gwi:562770}}

How much can you expose the caudex without compromising the plant? We tried to find a nice shallow bonsai pot for it but there was none to be had at Home Depot. Maybe its not time yet for a shallow pot, so another 6-inch pot it is. We lifted it up and since it had been sitting in the previous pot on its side, there is quite a lot of roots now exposed. Will those fall off after a while?

This is the super tall adenium repotted. I am trying to plan a strategy for it. Maybe have it outside in the full sun for 2 hrs/day this week then pruning? Cut off the little branch as close to the main stem as possible (that kills that branch, right?) and then for the tall part, prune it to where I have the blue tape wrapped? This plant is my Dh's baby and I'm so afraid of ruining it. The leaves are nice and green & glossy so it seems like a shame but I know its the best in the long run.

Thoughts?

{{gwi:562771}}

Here are the littler adeniums, finally repotted in Gritty Mix. Some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow but what can it be?? I slowly acclimated them by taking them outside for morning sun (2-3hrs for a couple of days.) I think I'm safe to leave them outside for the rest of the summer, right? I'm a bit apprehensive as we are having a heat wave here with 90-100degree weather right now. Water everyday and they will be okay?

... AND a bonus pic, we have a visitor already! Lol

{{gwi:582520}}

Comments (15)